No. Students may switch from one Pathway to another with the approval of their OSA Advisor, but must complete the requirements for at least one Pathway in order to graduate. The change request must be made in writing and the student must meet with the OSA Advisor to address how to fulfill the requirements of the new Pathway.
2) I would like to fulfill a pathway requirement at another institution. Is that allowed?
Maybe. Pending approval by the Office of Curricular Affairs Curricular Deans, a Selective or Pathway requirement may be fulfilled by an “away” rotation if it is:
1) an approved cataloged elective at an ACGME or LCME accredited institution.
2) comparable to:
a) a Pathway requirement (Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Dermatology, Anesthesiology)
b) a Pathway Selective (Medical Selective, Surgical Selective or Cardiopulmonary Selective.)
This process is initiated through the Registrar’s Office, but approval is made by the Office of Curricular Affairs Curricular Deans.
No. INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY, a UI Health elective in the catalog, lacks a sufficient amount of diagnostic radiology included in other radiology electives and therefore does not qualify for the Radiology Pathway requirement. However, the other Radiology electives listed in the catalog do qualify and can be used for the radiology pathway requirement.
The Radiology requirement may also be fulfilled by an “away” rotation if the experience is an approved cataloged elective at an LCME accredited institution and is considered comparable to the UI Health Radiology pending approval by the Office of Curricular Affairs Deans. (See #2 above.)
No. Students in the Surgical Pathway must complete the Radiology/Surgery/Anatomy (RSA) elective in order to fulfill the graduation requirements for the Surgical Pathway. The other Radiology electives in the UIC COM catalog are not considered equivalent, and therefore cannot serve as a substitute for the RSA requirement for the Surgical Pathway.
Yes. Due to the limited number of Radiology experiences, there are two RSA options for students in the other pathways to fulfill the Radiology requirement:
1) Medical and Hospital-Based Pathway students can complete the full RSA experience. Students must contact their OSA Advisor whenever the required pathway curriculum is altered.
2) Medical and Hospital-Based Pathway students can complete just the Radiology portion of the RSA experience. Schedules will be updated to reflect the experience is comparable to a Radiology elective and not RSA.
Note: Slot preference is given to students in the Surgical Pathway.
6) How can I be certain that I will get credit applied towards a Selective or Pathway requirement for my away rotation?
It is the responsibility of the student to request approval to designate an away rotation as fulfillment of a Selective or Pathway requirement. This process is initiated through the Registrar’s Office, but approval is made by the Office of Curricular Affairs Curricular Deans.
7) I just got approval to do an away rotation [for EM, Radiology, Anesthesia, Dermatology, etc.] with a start date one week from now. How do I apply this towards my Pathway requirements?
8) None of the Surgical/Medical Selectives fit in my schedule. Can I do a Self-Designed Elective in a similar specialty to meet this requirement?
No. No self-designed electives at UIC, affiliated sites, or away institutions will be counted as Medical, Surgical, Cardiopulmonary Selectives. Students should meet with their OSA Advisor to discuss other scheduling options.
No. Only 4-week experiences fulfill the Selective and Pathway requirements. However, 2-week experiences may be utilized to fulfill the Open Electives requirement.
No. The M4 Selective and Pathway requirements must be 4 weeks long, with all weeks performed in succession. This is because 2-week experiences in the M3 year are not structured to provide the intensity of training obtained in a 4-week experience offered to graduating medical students. However, 2-week experiences from the M3 year may be utilized to fulfill the Open Electives requirement.
No. There is no restriction on the number of Self-Designed electives a student can take to fulfill the Open Electives requirement at this time.
12) I am a student in a special curricular program (e.g., Urban Medicine, Global Medicine, Medical Scientist Training Program, MD/MBA, MD/MPH, Innovations in Medicine, etc.) Are there any special conditions or requirements that I should be aware of when scheduling my M4 year?
Maybe. Students in a special curricular program should consult the program director regarding any special conditions or requirements prior to scheduling the M4 year.
Yes. Both adult and pediatric emergency medicine 4-week experiences count toward this pathway requirement. Away rotations must be approved by Office of Curricular Affairs Curricular Deans as stated in #2 above.
14) What are my options regarding Sub-Internships? Students are required to complete a four-week Sub-Internship within the UIC system, or an external Sub-Internship that strictly adheres to the UIC-COM Guidelines for external Sub-Internships.