Professional Development and Scholastic Achievement
- GME Education Fund: Through GME, UI Health provides an education stipend of $2500 for PGY1s, and $3000 for PGY2-3s. The stipend is paid in the residents’ monthly check.
- Step 3 Exam Fee Reimbursement: The program will reimburse the residents’ Step 3 examination fee during residency training.
- Temporary Licensing Fee Reimbursement: The program will reimburse the residents’ temporary license application fee.
- Department of Medicine Professional Fund: Residents will receive funding to present their UIC-affiliated abstract at professional society meetings.
- BLS and ACLS certification course: The program will schedule and pay for on campus BLS and ACLS certification courses for the residents.
- Bi-weekly Program Director office hours
- Dedicated Residency Tracks with unique extracurricular events, development, networking, and benefits: Specialized Tracks in Leaders for Local Change, Innovation in Technology in Medicine, Academic Internal Medicine, Global Health Advocates and Scholars Tracks, and Medical Education
- Dedicated Research Time: Option for dedicated research half days during outpatient Y block
- Paid Curriculum Enhancements
a. Procedural training and debriefing sessions at the Simulation and Integrative Learning Center
b. Gaples Institute’s training on “Nutrition Science for Health and Longevity: What Every Physician Needs to Know”
- Paid tuition for residents seeking MPH degree.
- Volunteering Opportunities at UIC Student Run Free Clinic
- Interview Preparation Panel: The chiefs residents organize a panel of faculty interviewers to excel at fellowship and post-residency interviewing.
- Fellowship, Academic, and General Medicine panels: The chief residents organize faculty panels, so residents can learn about fellowship specialties and general medicine careers, including hospital medicine and primary care.
- Ideas on Tap Research Mixer: The Department of Medicine organizes an annual poster presentation event for residents to present their scholarly activities and network with faculty.
- Paid ACP Membership: The program pays for all categorical, and combined MED/PEDS and IM/EM residents’ American College of Physicians (ACP) membership during their training. Residents receive the MKSAP question bank at a discounted rate and ACP conference attendance is paid for.
- Paid subscription to MedStudy for resident access to IM Board Review videos and syllabi.
- Vacation and wellness days: Residents receive four weeks of paid vacation each year plus four program-specific additional Wellness Days.
- OnZar International: Variety of Chicago sports and theater tickets provided by senior associate program director, Dr Zar.
- UIC Family Leave Policy: Residents are supported during the time surrounding new parenthood by providing with a comprehensive and personalized plan for protected family leave.
- Annual overnight retreat for each PGY class: The Program Directors and Chief Residents host an overnight retreat for each class at an offsite hotel in the fall.
- Wellness Events are scheduled frequently throughout the year by the program’s Wellness Committee and Associate Program Directors
- Discounted gym memberships: Residents can join the on-campus UIC gym (medical and undergraduate campus access) for $28 a month, and can get discounted membership at Chicago Athletic Club gyms throughout the city.
- “Undeniably Incredible Care (U.I.C.)” Awards are bestowed at monthly resident meetings.
- Catered meals provided by the Department:
- 24-hour coffee provided in resident lounge
- Lunch 3x/week at all resident noon conference
- Lunch at monthly all resident meeting,
- Dinner at quarterly faculty-hosted Journal Clubs
- Meal Allowance: Through GME, UI Health provides $1200 annually to all residents. The stipend is paid in the residents’ monthly check.
- VA Meals: Sandwiches/snacks are provided in the on-call kitchen at the VA. Full meals are provided at the inpatient cafeteria for inpatient teams.
- Daily Internal Moonlighting: All permanently licensed PGY-3 residents on a non-admitting rotation are eligible for paid moonlighting. A variety of daily opportunities are available. Residents can earn $1400 per medicine shifts and $1800 for MICU shifts.
UIH/GME Benefits and Salary for Residents
A sample contract may be found here: sample contract
- PGY 1 $ 66,072.56
- PGY 2 $ 68,395.97
- PGY 3 $ 70,731.51
- PGY 4 $ 73,314.18
- PGY 5 $ 76,375.65
List of Benefits and Links
UIH residents who include dependents on their State/University health insurance will receive an additional stipend as partial reimbursement of the cost of health insurance for dependents*. For the current fiscal year (FY24), the maximum reimbursement is $141.00 for one dependent and $177.00 for two or more dependents.