Department of Medicine Professional Fund: Residents will receive up to $1000 annually to present an abstract or poster at professional society meetings.
- In addition to four weeks of paid vacation, residents receive two additional Wellness Days that residents can take off during the year.
- There is a rigorous Backup Policy that delineates how coverage can immediately be obtained should a resident feel less than capable of excellent patient care due to stress or personal/family illness. There is a liberal Family and Medical Leave policy that gives abundant paid time off for trainees starting or growing a family or if there is personal or family illness.
- Annual retreat for each PGY class
- Department Wellness Committee and “Wellness Week”
- “Resident of the Month” Recognition
Paid ACP Membership: The Department pays for all categorical Internal Medicine residents to become members of the American College of Physicians (ACP) during their training.
Paid Moonlighting and Extra Shift Pay:
- Internal Moonlighting- All permanently-licensed PGY-3 residents on a non-admitting rotation are eligible for paid moonlighting. Residents will earn $1400 per medicine shift and $1800 for ICU shifts.
- Differential Pay- All senior residents on “Specialty Medicine On Duty (SMOD)” who take phone calls for team F.One shift per day. Residents will earn $200 per shift.
UI Health Benefits managed through GME
- PGY 1 $59,890.00
- PGY 2 $61,996.00
- PGY 3 $64,113.00
- PGY 4 $66,454.00
- PGY 5 $69,229.00
GME Education Fund: Through GME, UI Health provides an annual education stipend. PGY1s receive $750, and PGY2-5s receive $1000. Residents typically use these funds to purchase study materials and/or electronic devices.
Meal Allowance for Call Shifts: GME provides residents a quarterly meal allowance. Residents can use their meal card at the UI Health cafeteria, Au Bon Pain, and the Wood Street Market, all of which are on campus.
Medical Information Resources: All residents are given free at-home access to all on-line library services including UpToDate, MD Consult, Harrison’s On-Line, Medline, PubMed and thousands of journals.
UIC Family Leave Policy