APPLYING PROCESS AND INTERVIEW DAY
Application and Selection Requirements
- Applicants who have signaled our program and meet our selection criteria will be preferentially considered for interviews. Students who have not signaled our program will also be considered for interviews.
- AAMC’s advice to applicants is that program signals should be used if applicants are interested in their home program, or one at which they have done an away rotation (MyERAS Guide for Applicants, page 6) to preserve consistency and equity.
- We require our applicants to have graduated from medical school within the last 4 years.
- We do not have minimum USMLE scores criteria.
- The program only sponsors J-1 visas.
- In order to be ranked on the NRMP match list, all interviewed applicants must pass both Step 1 and Step 2 USMLE or COMLEX clinical knowledge exams.
NRMP Tracks and Positions Offered
- 30 Categorical Medicine positions
- 10 Preliminary Medicine positions
Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) and Thalamus
The Department of Medicine will only accept applications via the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Our program will use Thalamus software to schedule interviews. The following documents should accompany the MyERAS application:
- Personal Statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Transcript from medical school
- Letters of recommendation
- One letter from Department of Medicine Chair (not required for Preliminary Applicants)
- One letter from Regional Dean or Director for medical schools who do not have a Department of Medicine.
- One letter from an Internal Med Attending
- Optional additional letter from any other faculty with whom you have worked.
- USMLE Scores (Step 1 and Step 2 CK)
- COMLEX scores can be submitted by Osteopathic applicants.
- ECFMG Certificate (if International Applicant) – You must be ECFMG certified prior to any interview.
Interview Days and Thursday Social Hours*
The program has scheduled 25 virtual interview days from 11:30am – 4:30pm on the following Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays:
- October 19, 20, 26, and 27
- November 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, and 30
- December 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 19, and 21
- January 5, 9, 12, 18, 19, 25, and 26
We plan to extend our first and second rounds of interview offers by October 13, 2023. If applicants have not received an interview offer by this time, they have been placed on our waitlist. Applicants on the waitlist could receive an invitation to interview anytime from late October to end of January depending upon available interview spots. Of note, our program strives to adhere to the NRMP Match Code of Conduct for Programs, which includes minimization of communication with applicants outside of the interview day.
On Thursday evenings, the residents will host a virtual social hour from 6:00 – 7:00 pm (CST) for applicants interviewing on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday.
*In accordance with recent guidance from the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine, to ensure equity for all applicants to our program, we will not be participating in any in-person recruitment activities. All interviews and open houses will be virtual.
URIM, Specialized Tracks, and Subspecialties Open Houses
The program hosts several virtual open houses during the recruitment period. The Administrative Team will email the registration links to scheduled applicants.
Under-represented in Medicine Open House
Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 7:00 PM
Specialized Tracks Open House
Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:00 PM
Subspecialties Open House
Wednesday, January 2, 2024 at 7:00 PM
Contact Residency Program Administration Team
University of Illinois Chicago
840 South Wood Street, Suite 1020S
CSB M/C 787
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7323
Christopher Zell, MS