UIC Sponsored International Travel

All UIC students, residents, fellows, faculty, and staff participating in “University Sponsored Travel” must abide by UIC’s International Travel Safety Policy. University Sponsored Travel is defined and characterized below.

All UIC faculty members, staff and students who intend to travel abroad for University Sponsored International Travel are required to enroll in UIC’s International Travel Safety Roster and must obtain the University of Illinois System’s comprehensive insurance. However, enrolling in the International Travel Safety Roster and obtaining the insurance policy does not imply approval of travel which must be obtained from the traveler’s supervisor.

University Sponsored Travel:  Students participate in University-sponsored travel whenever they are in an UIC-authorized program related to their academic program, including fieldwork or research, or are involved in a non-academic, but UIC-approved and supported student organization or activity. In addition, whenever travel is funded in full or part by UIC or UIC-managed funds, it is UIC-authorized travel. UIC-authorized programs include but are not limited to study abroad, exchange, internship, service learning, practica, residencies, independent study or research, registered student groups, alternative spring break and other similar programs. A UIC faculty or staff member is participating in University sponsored travel whenever they are traveling on official UIC business or are funded or reimbursed by or through UIC for that travel.

Relevant departments or units must approve all University Sponsored International Travel before the faculty member, staff or student embarks on International Travel. Further, student travel to any countries with an elevated Travel Advisory from the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is subject to additional review by the Office of Global Engagement.

For GMED Students:

For International Travel related to GMED-scholarly projects, approval must be requested from the GMED Director by submitting this form to [email protected].

Read the GMED Pre-Departure Field Training Guide

For UICOM students and UICOM/UI Health trainees:

For International Travel related to global health scholarly work, education, training, or non-clinical service, students and trainees should consider completing a Letter Of Intent For Collaboration and submit to both the UIC Office of Global Engagement at [email protected] and UIC Center for Global Health at [email protected] If a host institution requires an agreement, this form should be used; it is not required by UIC.

For all UI-COM students participating in international clinical rotations, students should fill out the Agreement for Student Placement in a Foreign Country Clinical Practice Setting and submit to the UIC Office of Global Engagement at [email protected]. UI-COM students seeking elective credit for international clinical rotations should find more information at the Office of International Education website.

Travel Insurance

University of Illinois at Chicago International Travel Insurance Plan – Gallagher Portal

Additional Resources for Best Practices in International Travel

Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) Travel Security Form

Traveling With Medication

Photography Considerations

Public Wi Fi Safety And Security