Project And Investigative Research (PAIR) Database
We physicians are smart, resourceful, caring, and diligent — but intractable problems should be solved with innovation, and physicians have not historically been known for their creative engineering skills. We land on the right side of the curve on organic chemistry exams. We can memorize the Krebs cycle. We know the differential diagnosis of a ring-enhancing mass on a head CT, but can we innovate? I think we can innovate — and I believe that teaching creative thinking will be the next chapter in medical education. Collaborative, creative problem-solving skills —“design thinking” — can help doctors solve what ails health care today. (Benjamin Doolittle, MD)
Resources at UIC:
- Office of Technology Management – commercializes research & educational activities at UIC
- Education on technology transfer, patents, copyrights, licensing, and start-ups
- Proof of Concept Programs
- Innovation Center – collaboration, education and incubation center embedded in UIC (between East and West Campus)
- Capabilities include: User centered (ethnographic) research, innovation, design, R&D, design planning, engineering, process and methods, product development, innovation education, digital and physical prototyping, Graphical User Interface, collaboration space, digital collaboration tools
- Interdisciplinary Product Development (IPD) is a two-semester curriculum that integrates the latest technologies and best practices for innovative product development
- IMED – Innovation in Medicine Program provides a systematic approach to innovation in clinical practice, through co-curricular and interdisciplinary activities related to medical product design (IMED augments the existing curriculum of the College of Medicine)
- MAD Lab – brings Medicine, Engineering, Industrial Design, Business, and Design Research together to provide concept development for faculty with ideas for healthcare devices; deliverables enable to pursue multiple avenues of funding, to fully develop the concept
- Submit application and receive response within 1-2 months
- 10-week process includes problem/idea discovery, background research, concept generation, concept refinement, and deliverables
- MATTER – community of healthcare innovators, an incubator of ideas, and a catalyst for change
- A curriculum purpose-built for healthcare innovators; workshops include pragmatic advice on how to recruit founders and employees, raise money, identify and approach customers, shorten sales cycles, build pipelines, and scale up for success; also provides leadership training and insights into new regulations and healthcare trends
- Mentors-in-residence who’ve built healthcare businesses and have deep expertise in healthcare, technology, and entrepreneurship
- State-of-the-art facilities including the Shop, the Stage, and the AMA Interaction Studio
- A culture of innovation, experimentation, and collaboration
- Inspirational keynotes, fireside chats, and panels
- Access to innovators from across the healthcare ecosystem including pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostics, and health IT companies; venture capitalists; health systems and hospitals; payers; scientists; and physicians
- Innovative programs, built with our partners, designed to enhance collaboration between stakeholders
- Chicago Innovation Mentors (CIM) – 200 mentors with experience in healthcare industry; 6-month, team-based mentoring
Also, check out a nice introduction to design thinking at Stanford.
INSTRUCTIONS: In order to add a sidebar anchor:
- Duplicate the existing item, listed as a 1/6 text field. (Or create a 1/6 column and add a text field, modify the class so it’s exactly “additionalAnchor”).
- Modify the text field inside the 1/6 column. Inside there, modify the HYPERLINK so that it would go to a corresponding section with a “#” in front of it. (Example, we have a “chief” section on the page, then it would make sense to have the hyperlink go to “#chief”)
- Then change the hyperlink TEXT to a appropriate label.
- IMPORTANT: If not done already, go into that CONTAINER that corresponds to your anchor (i.e. Meet The Chiefs), and add an ID matching the anchor’s HYPERLINK WITHOUT the “#”, i.e. “chief”.
- (If using side bar widget box, then there’s a saved copy of a widget box COLUMN, grab it in the column library, it should 1/6 of a length of a column.)
NOTE: Order added to the sidebar is from last to first.