Lab Name: Mahmud Lab (Study and Brew Blood to Treat Leukemia)
Principal Investigator: Nadim Mahmud, MD, PhD
Research Area: Stem Cell Expansion, Hematopoiesis, Stem Cell Transplantation, Cell based therapy, & Leukemia
1. Generating Human Cord-Blood-Derived Functional Megakaryocytes and Platelets.
2. Cord blood stem cell expansion using epigenetic modifier to understand biology of stem cell fate.
3. Use of expanded cord blood graft for hematologic malignancies and other cell based therapy
4. Leukemia stem cell (LSC) fate choice and development of chemical probe to target LSC as therapeutics.
5. Development of “off the shelf” bridge graft as a therapy for post radiation/chemotherapy bone marrow suppression (Proof of Concept: Chancellor’s Innovation Award)
Link to Lab
Lab Name: Laboratory of Translational Research in Sickle Cell Disease and other Hematologic Disorders
Principal Investigator: Victor Gordeuk, MD
1. Genetic modifiers of anemia, kidney function, and metabolism in sickle cell disease and other hematologic disorders
2. Regulation of iron metabolism in sickle cell disease, congenital polycythemia and hereditary iron overload
3. Contribution of the hypoxic response to complications of hematologic disorders
4. Hydroxyurea therapy for sickle cell disease in Africa
Lab Name: Sajani Lakka’s Lab
Principal Investigator: Seeta Sajani Lakka, PhD
Research Area: Glioma, Glioblastoma, Cancer, Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer, Lung cancer