Special Educational Requirements
All fellows within the section of Hematology/Oncology are required to obtain certification on the Ethical conduct of Research with Human Subjects. The Office for the Protection of Research Subjects Training conducts seminars on a periodic basis. Copies of certificates provided to the fellow must be submitted to the Fellowship Review Committee.
All fellows are required to attend the Fall Symposium on Research Methodology and Ethics, which is sponsored by the Department of Gastroenterology (3 Saturday sessions late October and early November). These sessions provide an important foundation in basic methodologies of clinical research and include important seminars that meet the General Competency Requirements of the ACGME. Fellows are encouraged to obtain ancillary training in fields and areas that will further their research pursuit.
Biostatistics are instrumental to the conduct of research and to the critical assessment of the medical literature. Fellows will need to obtain and document formal didactic experience in this area. There are several venues available within the University for this purpose. In addition to the Fall Symposium, the School of Nursing and Public Health have specific short courses in this area that may be audited. Self-training tapes are also an effective way to cover this topic.
Evaluation of the fellow’s progress is the direct responsibility of the mentor. Our attending physicians evaluate fellows’ performance monthly at the end of each clinical rotation, in-service exams are given twice per year, and formal progress reports are required on a semi-annual basis.
David Peace, MD
E: [email protected]
E: [email protected]
INSTRUCTIONS: In order to add a sidebar anchor:
- Duplicate the existing item, listed as a 1/6 text field. (Or create a 1/6 column and add a text field, modify the class so it’s exactly “additionalAnchor”).
- Modify the text field inside the 1/6 column. Inside there, modify the HYPERLINK so that it would go to a corresponding section with a “#” in front of it. (Example, we have a “chief” section on the page, then it would make sense to have the hyperlink go to “#chief”)
- Then change the hyperlink TEXT to a appropriate label.
- IMPORTANT: If not done already, go into that CONTAINER that corresponds to your anchor (i.e. Meet The Chiefs), and add an ID matching the anchor’s HYPERLINK WITHOUT the “#”, i.e. “chief”.
- (If using side bar widget box, then there’s a saved copy of a widget box COLUMN, grab it in the column library, it should 1/6 of a length of a column.)
NOTE: Order added to the sidebar is from last to first.