The Department has a strong Global Ophthalmology Division, and we support residents who are interested in developing clinical and global ophthalmology projects. We also offer international exchange programs through which our residents may visit institutions such as KEIO University in Tokyo, Japan, and Universidad Federal de Sao Paolo in Sao Paolo, Brazil. Our exchange programs offer residents the opportunity to be exposed to clinical practices and academic opportunities they would not otherwise experience in Chicago. Along with the knowledge gained from this experience, they also enjoy the local customs and hospitality offered by the friendly faculty and staff. Residents from KEIO and UNIFESP also come to UIC to observe our clinical practices. See the Resident Global Ophthalmology page for more information.
The incoming PGY-1 resident stipend for 2022 is about $59,000/year, with an incremental increase of approximately $2,000 per PGY class. You can get up-to-date salary information for the fiscal year on the UIC GME website.
- In addition to the resident salary, all of our residents receive a $3,800 (amount for FY23) education fund for lenses, equipment, books, and academic travel. Chief residents are provided with an additional $2,400 for educational purposes.
- Our department and the GME office also offers a publication incentive. For every publication you are awarded further funds based on the impact factor of the journal and the number of authors. This money is added to your resident education fund. There is no cap to the amount of funds that you can receive for your publications.
- Each resident is given a set of surgical instruments for use in the wetlab.
- First year residents will receive the complete AAO Basic and Clinical Science Series Volume in the print set or eBook version.
- First year residents will receive the Wills Eye Manual
- PGY2 and PGY4 residents are provided between $450-$850 for call that can be used at the hospital cafeteria and cafe.
- Our program also offers residents onsite access to our ophthalmology library (we also have our own librarian), wet-lab, and resident lounge. The Infirmary is within walking distance to the UIC gym, medical bookstore, and restaurants.
- Excused clinical duties to attend multiple subspecialty symposia throughout the year, as well as other ophthalmologic society meetings within Chicago.
- Saturday lectures given by prominent faculty and experts within the various subspecialties. These lectures are hosted at UIC and attended by all the Chicagoland residency programs.
- Free admission and excused clinical duties to attend an intensive board review series, the Illinois Eye Review, given annually.
The department recently finished construction on a state-of-the-art surgical simulation laboratory in the eye center, featuring 10 fully equipped practice stations with Zeiss operating microscopes and phaco machines for practicing cataract and retinal surgery. There will be video recording and editing capabilities to help residents improve surgical skills. Every resident is given a personal set of surgical instruments for use in the wetlab. An EyeSi simulator is also available for practicing cataract and vitrectomy surgery.
For more on surgical experience and the Cless Lab click here.
○ All residents are given four weeks of paid vacation per year.
○ All residents are given 24 calendar days of paid sick leave per year.
○ There are plenty of research opportunities available in all subspecialities. Basic science labs are also available although not required. We are one of the few ophthalmology programs with NEI K12 Institutional Clinical Scientist Development Program grants.
○ Most residents complete several projects throughout their residency and present at ARVO and AAO.
○ Third year residents are required to complete one project during their residency. This project is presented at the Alumni-Resident Day meeting at the end of the year.
Please see our Resident Alumni page.
You can contact any of the leadership members of Medical Education, including the Director, either of the Associate Directors, or the Residency Coordinator listed on our Leadership page.
CONNECT WITH US