Resident Research Activities 2020-21
Aktas ON, Pappalardo AA. Provider behavior and AAP complementary-food-introduction recommendations at variance. J Pediatr. 2021 Jan;228:310-313. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.10.064. PMID: 33342496.
Finkel L, Ospina-Jimenez C, Byers M, Eilbert W. Fever Without Source in Unvaccinated Children Aged 3 to 24 Months: What Workup Is Recommended? Pediatr Emerg Care. 2020 Sep 28. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000002249. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33170564.
Gilpin S, Byers M, Byrd A, Cull J, Peterson D et al. Rhabdomyolysis as the Initial Presentation of SARS-CoV-2 in an Adolescent. Pediatrics. 2021; 147(3):e2020019273.
Porat D, Finkel L, Eilbert W. Infected intracranial dermal sinus tract in a child. Am J Emerg Med. 2021 Jun 12;49:206-208. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2021.06.016. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34144262.
Pyle C, Finkel L. Which Pediatric Asymptomatic Patients Should Be Tested for COVID-19? Pediatr Ann. 2020 Aug 1;49(8):e328. doi: 10.3928/19382359-20200625-02. PMID: 32785714.
Samady W, Campbell E, Aktas ON, Jiang J, Bozen A, Fierstein JL, Joyce AH, Gupta RS. Recommendations on Complementary Food Introduction Among Pediatric Practitioners. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Aug 3;3(8):e2013070. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.13070. PMID: 32804213; PMCID: PMC7431991.
Wu, H; Rahim, N, Mbadiwe, N, Khayat, S, da Fonseca, M, Peters, E, Hsu, L. Vaso-Occlusive Pain Crisis Mimicking Mandibular Abscess in an Adolescent with Sickle Cell Disease, Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology: August 13, 2021 – Volume – Issue – doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000002274
Aktas ON. Urticaria knowledge and management among pediatric providers in a Chicago academic center. AAAAI conference. February 2021. Virtual Conference.
Cooper, P.N. Ventricular Tachycardia Due to Intramyocardial Metastasis in a Young Adult. AAP National Conference – Section on Medicine-Pediatrics. October 2021. Virtual conference.
Gonzales J, Cooper P, Sanyal S, Kaul M, Vagts C, Fraidenburg D. The company you keep: A case of refractory hypoxemic respiratory failure, thyroid storm, and systolic heart failure in the postpartum period. CHEST Annual Meeting, October 2020. Virtual conference
Mauro A, Vander Roest DL. “Virtual practice for the real world: lessons learned from virtual simulations for pediatric resident training during the COVID-19 pandemic.” Pediatric Academic Society (PAS) Meeting. May 2021. Virtual conference.
Mauro A, Vander Roest DL. “Learning From Home: Creation of a Home Elective Curriculum for Pediatric Resident Training during the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) Spring Meeting. March 2021. Virtual conference.
Mier M, Nelson A, Vander Roest DL. “Practice Makes Perfect: Using Repetitive, Small-Change Simulation for Emergent Pediatric Scenarios.” Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (ICAAP) Annual Educational Conference. Naperville, IL. February 2020.
Mier M, Nelson A, Vander Roest DL. “Practice Makes Perfect: Using Repetitive, Small-Change Simulation for Emergent Pediatric Scenarios.” Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) Spring Meeting. March 2020. Cancelled due to COVID-19 Pandemic.
Mier M, Nelson A, Vander Roest DL. “Practice Makes Perfect: Using Repetitive, Small-Change Simulation for Emergent Pediatric Scenarios.” Pediatric Academic Society (PAS) Meeting. May 2020. Cancelled due to COVID-19 Pandemic.
Moreno J, Vander Roest DL. “When a Pandemic Reduces Your Inpatient Census, You Create a Curriculum.” Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) Spring Meeting. March 2021. Virtual conference.
Park, H, Schwartz, A, Rasamimari P. “Strategies to Reduce Risk of Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: Potential for Compromise od Neonatal Microbiome Assemblage. Digestive Disease Week. May 2021. Washington, D.C.
Valentine B, Cooper P, Kouzoukas B, Ganbote T, Sreerama P, Jacobs K, Havalad V, Gharpure V. Clinical Characteristics of infants with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Poster presentation, 2nd Annual Critical Care Congress of SCCM Midwest Chapter. Aug 7th, 2021. Virtual Conference.
Wu, H, Le, K, Gannon, M, Hsu, L. Medication Possession Ratio (MPR) and Satisfaction with Oral L-Glutamine (Gln) in Children with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) with Specialty Pharmacy Services. Pediatric Academic Society (PAS). May 2021. Virtual Conference.
– 2021 CATCH American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Resident Grant “Community Derived Childhood Bereavement Survey.” Identify bereavement needs in our patients at UIC related to the COVID-19 pandemic and align community resources with our clinical sites – Dr. Areeg Hussein. Mentor – Dr. Stacy Laurent
– 2020-21 Advocacy Training Grant, Community Pediatrics Training Initiative, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) –Dr. Zoe Haemer. Mentor – Dr. Michelle Barnes
All residents participate in specialized education in Quality Improvement Science. They participate in the UIC QI Academy (https://chicago.medicine.uic.edu/departments/academic-departments/anesthesiology/qi-academy/) offered by Dr. Richard Banchs in the Department of Anesthesiology. Additionally, Dr. Andrew Kreppel teaches a rotating QI curriculum during pediatric resident conference. All residents are also required to be team leaders of a QI project during their second or third year. This is a resident-led initiative with faculty advisors and content experts.
Current QI projects:
– Lead Screening, focused on the 3 year well-child visit – Team Leaders Drs. Idia Ifianayi, Brooke Becton, Amy Schlegel
– BAERS Screening for disruptive sleep disorders – Team Leaders Drs. Leela Chandrasekar, Jennifer Cull
– Circumcision Aftercare education & standardization – Team Leaders Drs. Elham BinKhamis, Danielle Peterson
– Secondhand Tobacco Smoke Exposure screening & reduction – Team Leaders Drs. Denita Lindsey, Yaa Owusu-Banahene
– Inhaled Corticosteroid prescribing in children with persistent asthma – Team Leaders Drs. Henry Nguyen, Nicole Salach
Other Ongoing Projects
– “Rates of bleeding complications in pediatric and young adult trauma patients on thromboprophylaxis.” – Dr. Jessica Hsueh. Mentor – Dr. Meghan Harding
– “Improving inhaled corticosteroid prescription rates for pediatric patients with persistent asthma” QI project – Dr. Henry Nguyen. Mentor – Dr. Lucy Park
– “Pediatric mock code simulation” QI project – Dr. Henry Nguyen . Mentor – Dr. Leah Finkel
– “Addressing sudden infant death in Chicago neighborhoods” – Drs. Camila Ospina and Henry Nguyen. Mentor – Dr. Leah Finkel
– “Improving access to care in children of immigrant families” – Drs. Dayana Dominguez Batista and Danielle Peterson. Mentor – Dr. Sarah Messmer
– “Neurologic outcomes of patients with SCD with conditional transcranial doppler ultrasound velocities” – Dr. Zahra Al Khuridah
– “Implementing a flipped classroom approach in the era of virtual learning” – Drs. Isabella Marranzini and Alejandro Pasaret. Mentor – Dr. Daphne Vander Roest
– Providing inclusive care to LGBTQIA+ pediatric patients,” – Drs. Jason Lafave and Nicole Salach, Medical Student Amarah Khan. Mentors – Drs. Michelle Barnes, Claudia Boucher-Berry and Sarah Messmer
– “Resuscitation Workshop.” Workshop leadership is Dr. Paul Cooper, Dr. Lily Cheng (EM/IM PGY5), Cristina Diaz (Nurse Resuscitation Coordinator), and Dr. Christine Brillante (Pulm/Crit).
– “Resident Understanding of VTE Prophylaxis” Dr. Hadassa Holzapfel (PGY1), Julie Conrad (M4). Mentor – Dr. Lewis Hsu