Comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services to children and adolescents with cancer, leukemia, sickle cell disease hemophilia, and other blood disorders–we are part of the Children’s Oncology Group. As a member of the UIC Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center, we provide complete diagnostics, treatment, counseling and support services for families with sickle cell disease and related blood disorders.
Pediatric Cancer Center
We offer a full range of diagnostic and treatment services for children and adolescents living with cancer and leukemia. The Long Term Survivors of Childhood Cancer Clinic ensures patients continue to thrive with thorough screening and management of chronic health conditions that commonly arise in these survivors. The clinic also provides cancer researchers and health providers with valuable data to aid future patients.
• A multi-disciplinary group works to ensure optimal care for all types of cancer for all patients under 25.
• To meet the unique needs of patients, primary care physicians collaborate with specialists, radiologists, pathologists, mental health providers, and community support groups.
Director: Mary Lou Schmidt, MD
Pediatric Sickle Cell Program
Home to the largest state and federally funded program for sickle cell through the lifespan in Illinois, CHUI’s multi-disciplinary teams provide comprehensive treatment, counseling and support services for individuals suffering withthe disease and their families.
Innovative research at UIC led to the first successful stem cell treatment for sickle cell in Chicago area that eliminates chemotherapy. Ongoing clinical trials continue to prove the treatment’s efficacy, and bring real hope for a cure.
Comprehensive “Cradle to Rocking Chair” approach:
• Newborn screening
• Pediatric Sickle Cell Clinic
• Inpatient care
• Outpatient care at the Infusion Center, fully equipped for patient comfort
• Community case management
• Coordination of services for surgical and dental procedures under anesthesia
• Transcranial Doppler screening for stroke risk
• Consultation with regional healthcare providers
• Adolescent support group
• Information about the latest research studies, option to participate in clinical research
• Acute Care Center pain management for older teens
• Sickle Cell Transitional Care (STAR) program for adolescents and young adults
Director of Pediatric Sickle Cell Program: Lewis Hsu, MD, PhD
Meet The Team:
Schmidt, Mary Lou MD
Chief, Section of Hematology/Oncology;
Hsu, Lewis MD
Director of Pediatric Sickle Cell Center;
Hentea, Cristiana MD
Instructor of Pediatrics
Dighe, Dipti, MD
Cook County Health
Clinical Assistant Professor