Collaborative Doctoral (PhD) Program in Education – Curriculum Studies
with a Focus in Health Professions Education
The Curriculum Studies Program in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education (COE), and the Department of Medical Education (DME), College of Medicine (COM), offer a Collaborative Doctoral (PhD) Program in Education with a concentration in Curriculum Studies and focus in Health Professions Education. The collaborating departments have a strong history of success and innovation; this PhD program is the only such collaboration between UIC’s east and west (health sciences) campuses.
The mission of the program is to produce exemplary scholars who will advance the field of health professions education and ultimately health care through research and innovation to impact educational policy and practice.
Who is it for?
• This program is for people who wish to obtain doctoral-level preparation for careers emphasizing scholarship and leadership in health professions education.
• Typical students include both health professionals (with or without postgraduate training in medical or health professions education) and non-health professionals who are interested in scholarship related to health professions education settings, programs, and trainees.
• Students may pursue the PhD as full-time students or on a part-time basis in conjunction with their regular employment.
What should students expect to learn?
Through the program students will learn:
• How to use conceptual frameworks for the study of health professions education to develop new insights, models, and methods.
• How to conduct educational research as an independent investigator and leader of a research team.
• How to situate education and education science within the sociopolitical context of health care and health professions education, and how to translate educational science to practice.
What are the PhD program degree requirements?
Information about the degree requirements can be found on the PhD degree requirements page.
How do I apply?
Application deadline for Fall 2021: December 1, 2020
Information on the application process can be found on the PhD Curriculum Studies College of Education’s website.