Thank you for your interest in the University of Illinois at Chicago Family Medicine Residency. We accept applications for residency through the Association of American Medical Colleges‘ Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
There are two pathways within our program:
- The original 3-year residency program entirely based in Chicago at the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UIH) and other local health care facilities. This program accepts 8 residents each year (8-8-8).
- A 3-year residency program with a Rural Medicine Pathway, structured to spend a total of 18 months in Chicago, inclusive of all of post-graduate year one (PGY-1), and a total of 18 months in Gibson City, IL, at the Gibson Area Hospital & Health Services. One resident is accepted to this pathway each year (1-1-1).
The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) code numbers are 1150120C1 for the Chicago program and 1150120C2 for the program with the Rural Medicine Pathway.
All applicants must have passed the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 before being considered for a residency position.
- All applicants must be registered with the NRMP and apply through ERAS.
- All applicants must have passed the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 or the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensure Examination (COMLEX) Level 1.
- Graduates from medical schools outside of the United States (US) must meet the following criteria for their application to be reviewed:
- Hold a medical degree from a school listed in the World Health Organization Directory of Medical Schools.
- Have a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) if already graduated from medical school.
- Have US citizenship or legal authorization to work in the US. Our program does not sponsor visas.
- Graduates from medical schools outside of the US are unlikely to be considered for an invitation to interview if they have not had substantial clinical experience in the US or if they graduated from medical school more than three years ago.
- Interviews are scheduled on most Wednesdays in October through January each year. Interviews will be held virtually.
- Applicants will be contacted via email by our residency program coordinators with an invitation to schedule an interview.
Please contact us at email@example.com or call 312-996-9238 with any questions or concerns you have about the program.