You can create menus for navigation that can be used and reused in several locations. You will be able to replace the main navigation of a page to any menu you choose, most likely your department menu. In some cases it may make sense to have a sidebar menu for additional options relevant to the page, in this case you can can add a widget and choose the menu to display anywhere on your page(more below). Here is an example of where you might do this, note the “More Student Resources” menu on the right.
- 1. Go to Appearance -> Menus from the right hand side of your dashboard.
- 2. Click “Create a new menu” link to the right of the “select” button (see fig. 1). The page will refresh, displaying a blank menu (see fig. 2)
- 3. Next to “Menu Name”, type in a name for your new menu.When naming your menu, please follow the established naming convention. Name it after your department, followed by a subsection if applicable. This will help you find it in the future.
- 4. Click the “Create Menu” button. The page will refresh again, allowing you to select pages using the checkboxes on the left (grayed out in Fig. 2 above)
NOTE: Do not select any of the checkboxes next to menu settings, as they will affect the site globally rather than your menu individually.
- 5. Create your menu by searching for and adding pages to the menu, then organizing them as desired.
- NOTE: you can indent menu items by dragging them & dropping them, which makes them drop down submenus.
NOTE: When searching for pages to add to the menu, keep in mind that the search feature does not necessarily search for the title of the page, it also uses page content. If you don’t find the page you’re looking for, try adding additional relevant words.
NOTE: You may come across instances where there are several pages with the same name and and are unsure which is the one you are looking for.
- To easily find this, add all of them to the menu.
- Expand the menu items by clicking the arrow on the right side and open the “Original” in a new tab to see which page it is.
- 6. Remove incorrect pages
- Once you have organized your menu as you see fit, click the “Save Menu” button. You can now access this newly created menu when changing the main navigation on your pages (details below)
Changing the Main Navigation on your Pages
- Enter the editor for the desired page.
- Scroll down to Fusion Page Options and select the “Header” tab from the left hand menu (see picture below)
- Select your menu from the “Main Navigation Menu” drop down in the bottom of the section.
- Click the “Update” button to save & publish your changes.
Creating Widget Menus
There are 3 steps to creating a Widget Menu.
- Create the menu as described above.
- Create a Widget.
- In the Dashboard, navigate to Appearance > Widgets.
- From this screen click the blue “Add New Widget Section” button, you will be asked to enter a name.
- Please follow the established naming convention. Name it after your department, followed by a subsection if applicable.
- After the Widget is created, scroll down to find it, and click the arrow on the right to expand it. It will be empty.
- From the “Available Widgets” section in the right, click and drag in a Custom Menu.
- Expand the Custom Menu by clicking the arrow on the right and select your menu from the list.
- You may add a title if desired.
- Place the menu on the page.
- Using the Fusion Builder, create a container of the appropriate size.
- Choose to add a Widget Area in the elements menu, and select your widget.