Mary Stephenson, MD MSc, FRCSC, FACOG, FRCOG (Fellow ad Eundem)
Theresa S. Falcon-Cullinan
Professor & Head
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Welcome to the UIC Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Spring has been difficult for all of us at UIC with the unexpected and devastating COVID-19 pandemic. The faculty and residents have been on the front-lines caring for pregnant patients, delivering babies, managing acute gynecologic issues and performing emergency surgeries. Their service to our community and the teamwork with nursing and staff has been extraordinary! With the “Restore Illinois” plan in place, we are gradually moving forward to our previous norms, although with modifications to ensure social distancing and other precautions to keep us safe.
Our new Interns will arrive at the end of June. Their academic year will start with a Boot Camp in our OB/GYN Simulation Center.
We are delighted to welcome:
- Anchal Ahluwalia, MD, Howard University
- Heather Bouma-Johnston, MD, Case Western University
- Jenan Holley-Cuthroll, MD, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Nicky Nienow Birch, MD, Oregon Health & Science
- Shannon Pettit, MD, Case Western University
- Lara Slesnick, MD, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Katharine Sweeney, MD, New York Medical College
We are also delighted to announce that Jessica George, MD, our Global Women’s Health fellow, will be starting her second year of fellowship, combined with the first year of a Maternal Fetal Medicine fellowship. Dr. George will join our other MFM fellows, Dr. Monique Sutherland (3rd year) and Dr. Gian Diaz-Rodriguez (2nd year).
We have several new faculty who have recently joined the Department. Please welcome:
- Dr. Stephen Locher joined the Department in April 2020, as Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, Director of the Division of Academic Specialists in General OB/GYN, and OB Safety Champion. Dr. Locher, a University of Illinois alumnus, moved from Illinois Masonic where he was Chairman of the Department of OB/GYN for over 18 years. He is active through the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) as Co-Chair (with Stacie Geller, PhD) of the Severe Maternal Morbidity Review Committee and Chair of the Illinois Perinatal Statewide Quality Council. His administrative experience and OB leadership will serve the Department well!
- Dr. Aswathi Jayaram will be joining the Department in July 2020, as an Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine. Dr. Jayaram joins us from University of Mississippi where she is completing a MFM fellowship.
- Dr. Meredith Pavicic will be joining the Department in August 2020, as an Instructor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Academic Specialists in General OB/GYN. Dr. Pavicic joins us from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire where she is completing an OB/GYN residency.
- Dr. Ayesha Hasan will be joining the Department in August 2020, as an Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine. Dr. Hasan joins us from University of Kansas where she is completing a MFM fellowship.
- Dr. Priyanka Gokhale will be joining the Department in August 2020, as an Instructor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Academic Specialists in General OB/GYN. Dr. Gokhale joins us from Northwestern University where she is completing her OB/GYN residency.
- Dr. Amitha Ganti will be joining the Department in September 2020, as an Instructor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Academic Specialists in General OB/GYN. Dr. Ganti joins us from Stanford University where she is completing her OB/GYN residency.
The Department has built upon our existing educational programs and expanded our subspecialty fellowship programs. I would like to acknowledge our educational leadership which includes:
Dr. Tamika Alexander, OB/GYN Residency Program Director
Dr. Catherine Wheatley, Director of Clerkship (3rd Year medical students)
Dr. Alexus Braverman, Director of Electives/Selectives (4th Year medical students)
Dr. Catalin Buhimschi, Director of the Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship
Dr. Gelila Goba, Director of the Global Women’s Health Fellowship
But it “takes a community” to make our educational programs great and at University of Illinois at Chicago, the Department of OB/GYN has outstanding faculty, residents, and staff, all of whom contribute to our educational mission.
Please join me in congratulating our faculty who were peer-recognized regionally and nationally for their excellence in patient care:
Catalin Buhimschi, MD, MMS, Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors®
William Kobak, MD, Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors®
Humberto Scoccia, MD, 2020 Castle Connolly America’s Top Doctors® and 2020 Chicago Magazine Top Doctors®
Mary D. Stephenson, MD, MSc, 2020 Castle Connolly America’s Top Doctors® and 2020 Chicago Magazine Top Doctors®
The Department of OB/GYN continues to expand and we are presently recruiting subspecialty faculty. Please check out the links below:
- Open Rank Faculty, Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Open Rank Faculty, Gynecologic Oncology
- Division Director – Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Our diverse faculty and staff are committed to moving the Department forward through their hard work and passion for excellence in patient care, education and research. Feel free to stop by my office to discuss the exciting changes taking place in our thriving Department.