Scheduling and Calendars
Scheduling Instructions for Clinical Experiences and Electives
ALL scheduling requests to add, drop, or change a rotation must be made 4 weeks in advance of the rotation start date. Dropping an Emergency Medicine rotation requires 8 weeks of advance notice. Students should not contact the program director or coordinator directly to request scheduling changes.
M3 Clerkship Specific Scheduling Instructions
Following the Clinical Site Lottery, students looking to switch a clinical site can reach out to other students to request a body to body switch. Requests to switch sites due to transportation issues or site preference are not granted. Students that have questions regarding this process should contact their OSA advisor. You should not contact the program director or coordinator directly to request a clinical site switch.
Where to Submit Scheduling Requests:
M3 Clerkship Scheduling Request Mailbox – [email protected]
Electives, Specialties, and Sub-Internship Scheduling Request Mailbox – [email protected]
Clinical Experience Add/Drop Exception Request Form
Research Electives Scheduling Form
- Students work directly with a research advisor on a project. A list of UI COM faculty members and their current projects can be found at: Graduate Education in Medical Sciences (GEMS) Faculty Listing
- SAMPLE Research Elective Proposal – Use this sample as a guide in composing your research elective proposal. Make sure to address all 8 fundamental processes listed on the research elective form.
Self-Designed and Away-Domestic Scheduling Form
- Self-Designed electives are a modification of a catalog elective, under close supervision of a faculty member or physician. They can also be an experience a student customizes to receive academic credit.
Away-domestic electives are rotations offered at another U.S. medical school or site.
- Only away catalog sub-internships at other LCME schools will meet the UIC sub-internship requirement.
Away-International Scheduling Form
- All Away-International Electives must be approved by UI COM’s Office of International Education
- Please visit the Office of International Education page for more information.
External Sub-I Questionnaire Form
- This form must be completed prior to beginning your away Sub-Internship. Only an external sub-internship in Medicine, Pediatrics, Ob/Gyne, Surgery and Family Medicine, that has already been approved as a sub-internship at an LCME accredited school, may be submitted for review and approval to insure that it meets the Sub-Internship Rotation Criteria.
Away Rotations (M4 Students ONLY):
- Use the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application system to apply for away electives at an LCME institution. Make sure to review their VSLO website instructions for details. (Students will receive a VSLO token a few months prior to starting their M4 year).
- Set up your VSLO profile with your information and end dates for clerkships.
- Submit applications(s) for away rotations at LCME schools and pay the necessary fee(s).
- Once your application is complete, email [email protected] and request to have your application be released to the host school. The Registrar’s Office will not release any applications without student consent.
- Once you are accepted for the away rotation, forward the VSLO admission email, the catalog description of the elective, and the completed self-designed/away elective scheduling form to [email protected] to add the rotation to your UIC schedule.
- All International away rotations must be approved by Dr. Tekian.
2022 – 2023 CALENDARS & LOTTERY INFO
M3 Clerkship Track Calendar 2022 – 23