Student Room Use Agreement
Room Access & General Use
Access to the Learning Center rooms is via swipe card. Every swipe entrance is recorded, so each student sharing a room for study should swipe their own access card upon entrance in order to share responsibility for room maintenance. Rooms can be reserved through the Astra portal: https://uil.aaiscloud.com/UIC/Logon.aspx for 5 hour increments. Reservations for exams, student organizations, and PEP Tutoring can be made in the Office of Curricular Affairs (room 115 CMWT) or by following the instructions found at the links on the Room Reservation Procedures page.
- Student use of vacant Learning Center rooms via card swipe access is prohibited without prior reservation. If another student has occupied a room that was previously reserved through the appropriate procedures, that student will be asked to leave. Contact the Office of Curricular Affairs at (312) 996-9030 if further assistance is required.
- Students who reserve a room are expected to occupy the room during the allotted hours. If the student anticipates being late or not needing the room, please inform the Office of Curricular Affairs immediately at 312-996-9030 during regular business hours or by email to [email protected] . If a student decides to vacate a reserved room earlier than their arranged end-time, please inform the Office of Curricular Affairs so that another student may use the room.
- Reservations begin at the scheduled time, and not before. Please do not interrupt activities in a room prior to your scheduled time period.
- If an emergent administrative need arises that requires the use of a student-occupied room, students should leave the room in a timely manner.
- Use of the Learning Center rooms requires an understanding that users will return the room to an orderly condition. Tables must not be moved from their original position, and chairs should not leave the room. Tables should be wiped clean and all trash should be properly disposed of in appropriate receptacles found in the hallways. Users should notify the Office of Curricular Affairs about rooms that are found in a disorderly state. Note: Changing the configuration of a room requires prior approval from the Office of Curricular Affairs, 115 CMWT and the Informational Resource Staff at [email protected]
- Users should not store personal belongings in the classrooms. Items found in drawers will be disposed of on a regular basis.
- Users should shut down all equipment upon exit.
- Food is allowed in the Learning Center rooms on a case-by-case basis with prior approval from the Office of Curricular Affairs. Food trash must be completely removed from rooms and placed in a public trash receptacle, and tables should be wiped cleaned. When necessary, arrangements should be made in advance with facilities management for trash removal. Student organizations must contact the Office of Curricular Affairs for trash removal. For assistance in ordering additional tables, please contact the Office of Student Affairs. Click here for the Learning Center Food & Drink Policy.
- Be respectful of cleaning staff. Let them do their job if they arrive at the room you are using. They work on a schedule so please do not ask them to return at a time that is convenient for you.
- Care must be taken to avoid damage or abuse to furniture and equipment. Any damage that occurs must be reported at the first opportunity to Brian Strong, Facilities Manager, 312-355-0652 or email [email protected] Any damage done to the room beyond “damage of common use” at the time of occupation is the responsibility of the student.
- Users should not remove or misuse any property in a College of Medicine building. Tampering with University property falls under “Misuse or Unauthorized Use of University Facilities, Property and Grounds” and is subject to disciplinary action as a violation of a UIC Standard of Conduct. If a medical student is found in violation of a standard of conduct, at minimum this must be reported as an adverse institutional action in the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) which is used for residency applications.
Safety & Security
- Rooms will automatically lock upon departure. Do not prop doors open after 7:00pm. Pay proper attention that the door is securely closed behind you, and be extra vigilant after hours. No personal belongings should be left in the room during times when the student is not present. See Room Reservations Procedures for room availability.
- For building security and student safety, students are required to carry their I-card with them when on-campus. Campus security may ask students to show their I-card, especially after hours. Report any observed or suspicious misbehavior in the College of Medicine by calling Campus Police (Emergency 312-355-5555, Non-Emergency 312-996-2830.
Students will forfeit their right to use of these spaces for study or other learning purposes if this agreement is found in any violation. By making a room reservation you are agreeing to abide by the terms in this Student Study Room Agreement. UIC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs “Facility Use Policy” also applies.