UIC College of Medicine Visiting Student Guide
Who may apply?
The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine (UICOM) accepts fourth year Visiting Medical Students who have successfully completed core clerkships in Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Family Medicine and Surgery and are from LCME-approved, Osteopathic, and affiliated international institutions. The medical school utilizes the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities to receive visiting MD and DO student applications. For more information regarding VSLO, please visit the VSLO website.
How do I see what’s offered?
Please refer to UICOM’s course offerings in the VSLO portal. Additional descriptions for elective courses can be found here.
Who do I contact? Departmental Contacts
The Departmental Contact will verify your eligibility and may tentatively hold a place for you in the desired clinical experience. Students may apply for up to 12 weeks of elective experience at UICOM.
The University Of Illinois College Of Medicine at Chicago utilizes the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities to receive visiting MD and DO student applications. For more information regarding VSLO, please visit the VSLO website
Students must have successfully completed core clerkships in Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Family Medicine and Surgery. Other specific requirements also apply: identification, insurance, immunizations, etc. A fee may be assessed by some departments.
Information on the application process for International applicants can be found here.
- Students must be in good academic standing and currently registered for their fourth year in a M.D. or D.O. degree program at a school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Students must have passed the USMLE/COMPLEX Step 1 Exam.
- Students must have completed the following core clerkship requirements before the rotations begins:
- Family Medicine
- A current background check prior to the start of the rotation is required. We do not have a specific vendor that we prefer, but we do ask that a state and a federal check have been done and cleared.
- Completion of the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form.
- Students must provide documentation of personal health insurance.
- Must have Malpractice Insurance of $1,000,000 per instance and $3,000,000 aggregate.
- Letter of Good Standing uploaded by home institution.
- Letter of Recommendation
- Copy of USMLE Step 1 or Comlex 1 passing score.
- Copy of current BLS/ACLS card.
- Visiting students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to rotating at UICOM.
- Please follow any department-specific requirements requested within VSLO.