PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have successfully completed ECM/DoCS, completed all M3 Core Clerkships by the start of the elective and be in academic good standing. Final approval at the discretion of the DoCS course directors.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this elective is to help students to transition to their teaching roles expected during residency. They will be provided with the educational tools and skills necessary to teach in small groups and receive feedback from faculty. Students will hone their own physical exam and doctoring skills as they participate in bedside teaching and clinical skills workshops.
- The ability to give pre-clerkship students feedback on their interview skills, oral presentations, and write-ups.
- The ability to evaluate and give students feedback on their small group interactions, communication and doctoring skills and professionalism.
- The ability to facilitate a small group (12-14 students) in a manner that maximizes learning
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: Students will facilitate small group discussions, small group workshops, hospital/other clinical visits and evaluate write-ups, presentations, and professionalism. There are mandatory development sessions which cover teaching in small groups, leading physical exam workshops, and giving formative and summative feedback. Each M4 will be assigned 3-4 M1s.
To receive 4 weeks of elective credit, M4 students must:
- Attend development/training sessions
- Attend at least 7-8 working group sessions (Thursday afternoons from 1:30-3:50pm) Tutors must attend sessions in BOTH semesters.
- Attend 4 hospital sessions with their assigned M1s per semester
- Help facilitate 5 Physical Exam workshops (Vital Signs, Cardiac, Musculoskeletal)
- Provide feedback on assignments for their 3-4 assigned M1s.
- Spend time preparing to lead the sessions, communicating with their students and completing a formative and summative evaluation for each student.
- Specific requirements are subject to change.
You are not automatically excused from rotations for participation in DoCS. Flexibility on days off varies with department/site and is at the discretion of the site director. Be sure and request any days off for whatever reason well in advance and be prepared to make up any time missed.
ASSESSMENT: The faculty tutor(s) for the assigned color group will observe, give feedback and complete evaluation for the assigned M4 students.
Program Number: ELEC 345
Location: UI Health
Program Director: Ani Gangopadhyaya, MD – [email protected]
Coordinator: Shila Koswatta Dauner, MPA
Email: [email protected]
Duration: 4 week credit (Longitudinal)
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: 60
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
KEYWORDS: Teaching/Learning; educational tools/skills; feedback; education