PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN CURRICULUM: The 4-week Emergency Medicine elective is geared for those students who plan to apply to EM residencies. The students must have successfully completed core rotations in Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, OB-Gyne, and Psychiatry. Cancellations for the first 3 blocks must be made at least 8 weeks before the rotation or students will receive an incomplete for the elective.
- gain experience performing rapid clinical assessments with attention to life and limb threats
- obtain a focused history and physical tailored to the patient’s complaint
- formulate appropriately detailed different diagnoses
- develop appropriate, efficient, and cost-effective diagnostic/therapeutic plans
- participate in basic emergency procedures such as suturing, I&D’s, resuscitation, and orthopedic reductions
- communicate effectively and build rapport with patients, families, and ED staff
- understand some of the social and medico legal issues that impact emergency care
Coordinator: Jennifer Ytem, firstname.lastname@example.org / Chief Resident: email@example.com
UIH EM students are expected to email the UIC EM chiefs email at least one week before the start date regarding orientation and schedule. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The chief resident will contact you one week prior to your rotation to set up an orientation date. Orientation is usually held the weekend before your first shift. Orientation is mandatory and you will not be able to start the elective without having been oriented first. Please email the chief should you have any questions.