PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN CURRICULUM: This elective is designed for senior medical students applying to EM residencies. The student must have successfully completed core rotations in Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, OB-Gyn, and Psychiatry. Cancellations for the first 3 blocks must be made at least 8 weeks before the rotation.
Purpose: To provide in depth EM knowledge to students interested in the specialty as a career path. Students will be expected to manage their own patients within the limits of the ED setting with oversight by EM attendings and senior residents.
- Perform accurate, rapid clinical assessments with attention to life and limb threats
- Obtain a focused history and physicals and generate a weighted differential to guide evaluation and management
- Develop appropriate, efficient, and cost-effective diagnostic/therapeutic plans based on the differential
- Perform emergency procedures such as suturing, I&D’s, resuscitation, US and orthopedic reductions
- Communicate effectively and build rapport with patients, families, ED staff and consultants
- Understand some of the social and medical legal issues that impact emergency care
Instructional Features: Students will work in the ED under the direct supervision of attendings and EM residents. Learning activities include lectures, case review, conferences, ward-round, outpatient evaluation, literature reviews and group work.
Assessment: Clinical performance, conference participation, and presentations compose 75% of the grade. A final exam (in-house, not NBME) will compose 25%. A composite “SLOE” may be requested from the site director.
Program Number: ELEC
Location: UI Health
Telephone: (312) 413-4598
Duration: 4 weeks
Students Accepted: Min. 0 Max. 2
Housestaff Used as Faculty: Yes
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 5-9 lecture & conference/faculty supervision fourteen 8 hour shifts in ED.
Independent Study: Required readings/links provided and on CDEM; active use of medical resources during clinical shifts
Outpatient: Clinical shifts in Emergency Department
Total Hours/week: 37-45
UIH EM students are expected to email the UIC EM chiefs email at least one week before the start date regarding orientation and schedule. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The chief resident will contact you one week prior to your rotation to set up an orientation date. Orientation is usually held the weekend before your first shift. Orientation is mandatory and you will not be able to start the elective without having been oriented first. Please email the chief should you have any questions.