BRIDGE TO THE DOCTORATE FELLOWSHIP
The Bridge to the Doctorate program was created as a response to the dearth of researchers from underrepresented groups in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). The Bridge to the Doctorate is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and is locally administered by the Illinois Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (IL-LSAMP), which is headquartered at Chicago State University. This program is charged with enrolling, retaining, and graduating doctoral students from STEM disciplines at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Through the Bridge to the Doctorate at UIC, fellows receive various forms of academic support and partake in professional development activities. These opportunities are facilitated by the UIC College of Medicine Office of Graduate Diversity Programs and their respective academic departments. These activities are designed to stimulate the continued development of research and academic skills, and to provide a venue for cultivating creativity and the exchange of ideas.
- Full GEMS stipend for the first 2 years of doctoral study
- Full tuition and fee support
- Travel assistance for participation in regional and national research conferences
- Participation in local skills workshops
- Professional Development and Networking
- Bridge to the Doctorate Summer Institute