M. Cem Mocan, MDAssociate Professor of Ophthalmology University of Illinois College of MedicineDepartment of Ophthalmology
Dr. Mocan is a fellowship trained pediatric ophthalmologist who is involved in the eye care of children. He has 15+ years in active clinical practice and has treated children with a diverse spectrum of eye conditions including amblyopia, strabismus and developmental/dysgenetic eye conditions. His specific interests include congenital/infantile glaucomas and cataracts. He only sees children in his practice and his passion is to provide the best ophthalmic care to children with challenging eye conditions. He is also involved in clinical research in the fields of glaucoma pathogenesis, strabismus and anterior segment disorders. He enjoys collaborating with national and international ophthalmologists on his research projects. He is a co-investigator in ongoing clinical studies involving children with prematurity of retinopathy, retinoblastoma and neurofibromatosis. He has published more than 80 peer-reviewed scientific papers and his work has been cited by more than 800 publications. He is a member of several academic and professional organizations including Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and European Glaucoma Society.
MD, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara Turkey, 1998
Ophthalmology Residency, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 1998 – 2002.
Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 2003 – 2004.
Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2002 – 2003, Fellowship Director: Kenneth W. Wright, MD.
Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Anterior Segment Training, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2/2016 – 7/2016.
1. Mocan MC, Mehta AA, Aref AA. Update in genetics and surgical management of primary congenital glaucoma. Turk J Ophthalmol. 2019;49(6):347-355.
2. Hyde RA, Mocan MC, Sheth U, Kaufman LM. Evaluation of the underlying causes of papilledema in children. Can J Ophthalmol. 2019;54(6):653-658.
3. AlQurashi M, Mocan MC, Aldarrab A, Althiabi S, Khandekar R, Ahmad K, Edward DP. Quality of Life of Caregivers of Children with Glaucoma in an Arab Population – A Cross Sectional Study. J Glaucoma. 2019;28(11):965-968.
4. Ural O, Mocan MC, Erdener U. The value of the frontalis suspension procedure as a repeat intervention in congenital blepharoptosis. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2017;54(5):320-323.
5. Mocan MC, Uzunosmanoglu E, Kocabeyoglu S, Karakaya J, Irkec M. The association of chronic topical prostaglandin analog use with meibomian gland dysfunction. J Glaucoma. 2016;25(9):770-4.
6. Mocan MC, Gulmez Sevim D, Kocabeyoglu S, Irkec M. Prognostic value of metal-metal contact during nasolacrimal duct probing. Can J Ophthalmol. 2015;50(4):314-7.
7. Kocabeyoglu S, Mocan MC, Irkec M. In vivo confocal microscopic features of corneal pseudodendritic lesions in tyrosinemia type II. Cornea. 2014;33(10):1106-8.
8. Taylan Sekeroglu H, Kocabeyoglu S, Mocan MC, Muz E, Karakaya J, Irkec M, Sanac AS. Ocular surface changes following botulinum toxin injection for strabismus. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2015;34(3):185-8
9. Kocabeyoglu S, Uzun S, Mocan MC, Bozkurt B, Irkec M, Orhan M. Comparison of visual field test results obtained through Humphrey matrix frequency doubling technology perimetry versus standard automated perimetry in healthy children. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61(10):576-9.
10. Konstas AG, Mocan MC, Katsanos A, Voudouragkaki IC, Irkec M. Latanoprost/timolol fixed combination for the treatment of glaucoma. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2013;14(13):1815-27.
11. Dikmetas O, Simsek Kiper PO, Mocan MC, Utine EG, Boduroglu K, Irkec M. Bilateral anterior segment dysgenesis in an infant with partial trisomy 16q and partial monosomy 3p. J AAPOS. 2012;16(5):473-5.
12. Mocan MC, Ozgen B, Irkec M. Bilateral orbito-palpebral cysts in a case of cryptophthalmos associated with Fraser syndrome. J AAPOS. 2008;12(2):210-1.
13. Mocan MC, Ament C, Azar NF. The characteristics and surgical outcomes of medial rectus recessions in Graves’ ophthalmopathy. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2007;44(2):93-100.
14. Mocan MC, Wright KW, Salvador MG. Evidence of binocular fusion in a 3-week-old infant with transient abducens nerve paresis. J AAPOS. 2007;11(2):199-200.
15. Mocan MC, Azar N. Surgical timing for infantile esotropia. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2005 Fall;45(4):83-95.
16. Mocan MC, Azar N. Amniotic membrane transplantation for the repair of significant conjunctival dehiscence following strabismus surgery with adjustable sutures. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140(3);533.e1-533.e3.
17. Mocan MC, Najera-Covarrubias M, Wright KW. Comparison of visual acuity levels in pediatric patients with amblyopia using Wright Figures, Allen optotypes and Snellen letters. J AAPOS. 2005;9(1):48-52.
18. Sener EC, Mocan MC, Sarac OI, Gedik S, Sanac AS. Management of strabismus in nanophthalmic patients: A long-term follow-up report. Ophthalmology. 2003: 110(6): 1230-6.
19. Sener EC, Mocan MC, Gedik S, Ergin A, Sanac AS. The reliability of grading in fixation preference test for the assessment of interocular visual acuity difference among strabismic population. J AAPOS. 2002;6(3):191-194.