UIC Urology is committed to innovation and advancement in not only the field of urology but medicine as a whole. Consistent with our field’s historical innovations in new products and solutions to improve patient care, our faculty, fellows, residents and students are encouraged to participate in research in diverse disciplines. Our partnership with the UIC Innovation Center includes inter- and multidisciplinary collaborations across all levels of the University and a cutting-edge view of how to align innovation efforts toward viable, market-ready solutions.
The UIC Innovation Center is a hub of education and development that bridges academic research and real-world instruction with forward-thinking corporations, government/academic entities, and other nonprofits. Activities at the Innovation Center, a cross-campus initiative supported by the Office of the Provost and led by executive director Peter Pfanner, integrate the full range of disciplinary expertise offered by the colleges of Architecture, Design and the Arts; Engineering; Business Administration and Medicine. UI Urology is also an active sponsor of cross-disciplinary curriculum across these colleges that has led to ongoing product development.
Housed in a 10,000-square-foot collaboration space and research laboratory, the Innovation Center is located near the Student Services Building. The space serves as an incubator to develop and deliver ideas, products and intellectual property on behalf of the university and industry sponsors.
- Expediting sperm sample collection via smartphone microscope
- Prostate stem cell biology
- Prostate cancer detection using novel imaging in collaboration with the UIC Center for 3T MRI Research
- Medical device design and process development in collaboration with the UIC Innovation Center
- Bioengineering and computer hardware development
- Non-invasive ophthalmologic diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
- Clinical trials for urologic malignancies in collaboration with the UIC Cancer Center