Application and Selection Process
Our program fills 3 residency positions each year. Applicants seeking a PGY-1 Categorical position starting June 24, 2021 will need to apply through ERAS. All 3 positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
When selecting an applicant for an interview, the Resident Recruitment Committee will evaluate the strength of your application with all of its components, including:
- The Dean’s Letter (Medical Student Performance Evaluation)
- Strong letters of recommendation
- Third-year Core Clerkship grades
- Research experience
- Personal statement
- USMLE Step 1 Score (Step 2 and CSA not required for consideration)
The program will review applications after October 21, and interview invitations will be extended the week of November 16. Selected applicants will receive an email invitation from the scheduling software Thalamus. We will interview between 12-24 applicants on three separate interview days.
Interview Day Planning
We have scheduled six interview sessions via Zoom for the 2020-2021 recruitment cycle:
- Friday, December 18th, one AM Interview group
- Monday, January 11th, two Interview groups- AM or PM
- Saturday, January 23rd, two Interview groups- AM or PM
- Friday, February 5th, one AM Interview group
If you scheduled an interview on Thalamus, you will receive details a few days before your scheduled interview day.
- The AM interview session will start at 7:20am and end at 12:00pm.
- The PM interview session will start at 12:40pm and end at 5:10pm.
We have created an interview experience with the goal of us getting to know each other. Our Chair will gave a presentation before the interviews begin. There are two interview groups, and both groups will interview with three different interview teams of two faculty and one team of three Chief Residents. Before or after your interview session, applicants will interact with the residents in the virtual “Café” for an hour. There will be pauses throughout the morning or afternoon, so applicants can re-set for the next round.
To connect with our program, follow us on
For post-interview correspondence, the Department of Otolaryngology Administrative Office is located at 1855 W. Taylor Street (MC 648), Suite 2.42, Chicago, IL 60612