A. The fellow will be exposed to a range of surgical procedures in the areas of pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus as well as adult strabismus including:
- Common and unusual surgical procedures advocated for all types of strabismus, simple and complex (e.g., muscle transposition procedures, thyroid eye disease and adjustable sutures).
- Indications and methods of the use of botulinum toxin in strabismus and related problems.
- Pediatric cataracts, glaucoma and oculoplastics.
- Treatment of retinopathy of prematurity with laser and anti-VEGF.
B. The development of surgical knowledge and skills as well as the ability to teach these skills will be a major goal of the fellowship. This will be achieved by:
- Participating with attending staff on pediatric and adult strabismus surgeries.
- Participating or assisting attending staff, when requested, on pediatric patients of interest, e.g., congenital cataracts, ocular tumors, glaucoma, oculoplastic, ROP.
- Assisting residents in routine ocular motility surgery, along with the attending.