Suggested Format for Personal Statement
- Provide a brief description of your background, ie, place of birth, occupation of parents.
- Explain why you originally became interested in medicine.
- Explain why you developed a specific interest in obstetrics and gynecology.
- Discuss what makes you unique as an individual.
- Explain unusual constraints in the selection of a residency program, eg, couples match, special geographical considerations, career opportunities for partner (if applicable).
- Discuss your future plans (to the extent that they are known):
— Preferred geographic location
— Private practice versus academic medicine
— Type of private practice (solo, group, multispecialty group)
— Fellowship interest
- Describe extracurricular activities—what you do to preserve balance in your life.
Please note: Be certain your faculty adviser reviews this document before you submit it. Poorly written personal statements may detract from an otherwise excellent application.
The above infromation is from: http://www.apgo.org/binary/ResidencyProgram.htm