History of UIC Neurosurgery
The Founding of the Neuropsychiatric Institute
The University of Illinois at Chicago established the Neuropsychiatric Institute, dedicated to the study of the neurosciences, in 1939. It was the first institute of its kind in the United States and promoted many advances in the fields of Neurosurgery, Neurology, and Psychiatry. The Department of Neurosurgery has included such illustrious figures as Dr. Eric Oldberg (the first Department Head), Dr. Paul Bucy, and Dr. Percival Bailey.
Surgery at the NPI
The first operating room case was on December 9, 1941 which was performed by Drs. Oldberg and Green. The next day these two doctors would perform the second case involving a ventricular tumor.
One of the most notable cases to take place was the separation of the conjoined Brodie twins in 1952. The surgeon, Dr. Oscar Surgar, was able to successfully separate the twins, however, only one was to survive the procedure. The remaining twin, Rodney, lived until the age 11.
The Men Behind the Masks:
the First neurosurgeons at the NPI
Percival Bailey (Cushing resident)
Chairmen of the NPI
Oscar Sugar, 1971 – 1981
Robert Crowell, 1982 – 1989
James Ausman, 1991 – 2001
Fady T. Charbel, 2001 – present