Herbert H. Engelhard MD, PhDAssociate Professor & Chief of Neuro-Oncology Section
Brain Tumor Research Fellow
Children’s Memorial Hospital
Northwestern Memorial, Children’s
Memorial and VA Lakeside Hospitals
Chicago, Illinois (Neurosurgery)
M.D., Duke University
Durham, North Carolina
Ph.D., Tumor Cell Biology
Northwestern University Chicago, Illinois
With Distinction; Magna Cum Laude
Duke University Durham, North Carolina
American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Co-Director, UIC Neuro-Oncology Program
University of Illinois at Chicago
- Chief, Section of Neuro-Oncology,
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System
- Vista Medical Center
- Midwestern Regional Medical Center
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center
- St. Francis Hospital
- Brain tumors: malignant and benign
- Spinal cord tumors
- Spinal disorders
- Head trauma
- General neurosurgery
- Innovative brain tumor therapies such as NovoCure, differentiation therapy/apoptosis, gene therapy, immunotherapy, direct brain infusion, combination therapies, molecular biology of brain tumors; tumor markers, phenotypic assays, molecular mechanisms, differential gene expressions/microarrays.
- Continuing Education Award in Neurosurgery
- Physician’s Recognition Award for Continuing Medical Education
- Research Society of Neurological Surgeons
- Fellowship, American College of Surgeons
- Commission on Cancer, American College of Surgeons
Approved Clinical Research
University of Illinois at Chicago Brain Tumor Registry (Principal Investigator, University of Illinois at Chicago; 2010)
A Pilot Study of White Matter Involvement in Glioma Patients Using High-Resolution Diffusion MRI (Co-Investigator, University of Illinois at Chicago; 2009)
Effect of NovoTTF-100A Together With Temozolomide in Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) (International Steering Committee, and Principal Investigator, University of Illinois at Chicago; 2009)
- Tye K, Engelhard HH, Slavin KV, Nicholas MK, Chmura SJ, Young K, Ho DS, Weichselbaum RR, Koshy M: An analysis of radiation necrosis of the central nervous system treated with bevacizumab. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 117 (2): 321-327, 2014.
- Wong ET, Lok E, Swanson KD, Gautam S, Engelhard HH, Lieberman F, Taillibert S, Ram Z, Villano JL: Response assessment of NovoTTF-100A versus best physician’s choice chemotherapy in recurrent glioblastoma.Cancer Medicine 3 (3): 592-602, 2014.
- Pannuru P, Dontula R, Khan AA, Engelhard H,Ozer H, Chetty C, Lakka SS: miR-let-7f-1 regulates SPARC – mediated cisplatin resistance in medulloblastoma cells. Cellular Signaling 26 (10): 2193-2201, 2014.
- Mrugala MM, Engelhard HH, Dinh Tran D, Kew Y, Cavaliere R, Villano JL, Annenelie Bota D, Rudnick J, Love Sumrall A, Zhu J-J, Butowski N: Clinical practice experience with NovoTTF-100A™ System for glioblastoma: the Patient Registry Dataset (PRiDe). Seminars in Oncology 14 (10): S4-S13, 2014.
- Tobin MK, Geraghty JR, Engelhard HH, Linninger AA, Mehta AI: Intramedullary spinal cord tumors: A review of current and future treatment strategies.Neurosurg Focus 39 (2): E14, 2015.
- Mehta AI, Linninger A, Lesniak MS, Engelhard HH: Current status of intratumoral therapy for glioblastoma. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 125 (1): 1-7, 2015.
- Engelhard HH, Sahrakar K, Pang D: Neurosurgery for hydrocephalus. eMedicine: October, 2015. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/247387
- Stupp R, Taillibert S, Kanner AA, Kesari S, Steinberg DM, Toms SA, Taylor LP, Lieberman F, Silvani A, Fink KL, Barnett GH, Zhu JJ, Henson JW, Engelhard HH, Chen TC, Tran DD, Sroubek J, Tran ND, Hottinger AF, Landolfi J, Desai R, Caroli M, Kew Y, Honnorat J, Idbaih A, Kirson ED, Weinberg U, Palti Y, Hegi ME, Ram Z: Maintenance therapy with tumor-treating fields plus temozolomide vs temozolomide alone for glioblastoma: A randomized clinical trial.Journal of the American Medical Association 314 (23): 2535-43, 2015.
- Engelhard HH, Sinson GP, Reiter GT: Subdural hematoma surgery. eMedicine: April, 2016. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/247472
- Fernandez C, Nicholas MK, Engelhard HH, Slavin KV, Koshy M: An analysis of prognostic factors associated with recurrence in the treatment of atypical meningiomas. Advances in Radiation Oncology 1 (3): 89-93, 2016.
- Venugopal I, Pernal S, Duproz A, Bentley J, Engelhard H, Linninger A: Magnetic field-enhanced cellular uptake of doxorubicin‑loaded magnetic nanoparticles for tumor treatment. Materials Research Express 3 (9), 095010, 2016.
- Karaman MM, Wang H, Sui Y, Engelhard HH, Li Y, Zhou XJ: A fractional motion diffusion model for grading pediatric brain tumors. NeuroImage: Clinical 12: 707-714, 2016.
Engelhard HH, Lu Y, Rayfield C, Yue L, Lakka S, Mahmud N. Heterogeneity of HDAC3 expression and its modulation by valproic acid in glioblastoma cells. J Clin Oncol 31, 2013 (suppl; abstr e13038).
Wong ET, Villano JL, Engelhard HH, Ram Z, Gutin PH: Analysis of the response profile to NovoTTF-100A Treatment in patients with recurrent GBM: Time to effect, response duration and transient progression in the EF-11 Phase III trial. Neuro-Oncology 14 (Suppl 6): vi65-vi85, 2012.
Recent National Presentations
Stupp R, Kanner A, Engelhard H, Heidecke V, Taillibert S, Lieberman F, Dbaly V, Kirson ED, Palti Y, Gutin PH: A Prospective, Randomized, Open Label, Phase III Clinical Trial of NovoTTF-100A Versus Best Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with Recurrent Glioblastoma. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Clinical Oncology. Chicago, Illinois, June 2010.
Stupp R, Kanner A, Engelhard H, Heidecke V, Taillibert S, Lieberman F, Dbaly V, Kirson ED, Palti Y, Gutin PH: A prospective, randomized, open label, phase III clinical trial of novoTTF-100A vs best standard of care chemotherapy in patients with recurrent glioblastoma. Presented at the 9th Meeting of European Association of Neuro-Oncology. Maastricht, Netherlands, September 2010
Engelhard HH, Walters L, Watson KS, Mlinarevich N: Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors Are Appropriate Therapeutic Agents for CED for Malignant Glioma. Presented at the 1st International Meeting of the Society for CNS Interstitial Delivery of Therapeutics. Cleveland, Ohio, September 2009.
McCarthy BJ, Ramirez V, Propp JM, Engelhard HH, Villano JL: Descriptive Epidemiology of Non- Pineal CNS Germ Cell Tumors. Presented at the 13th International Symposium on Pediatric Neuro-Oncology. Chicago, Illinois, June 2008.
Engelhard HH: What Do We Know About Spinal Cord Tumors? – The Role of Surgery. Presented at the NIH Workshop on Spinal Cord Tumors. Bethesda, MD, February, 2007.
Zhou XJ, Leeds NE, Engelhard HH: Quantitative Assessment of Brain Tumor Invasion Using a Fiber Coherence Index. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. Calgary, Canada, April 2005.
Engelhard HH, Porter KR, Fakhoury F, Barua M, Barker F II: Clinical Presentation, Histology and Treatment of 431 Patients with Primary Tumors of the Spinal Cord, Spinal Meninges or Cauda Equina. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Cancer Research. Anaheim, California, April 2005.
Engelhard HH: Treating Anaplastic Astrocytomas and Glioblastoma. Presented at “Sharing Hope” – the American Brain Tumor Association Symposium. Itasca, Illinois, July 2005.
Engelhard HH: Convection-Enhanced Delivery of a Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor Delays Progression of Malignant Gliomas in vivo. Presented at the International Tumor Metabolism Summit. Genova, Italy, October 2005.
(download pdf file of poster)
Engelhard HH, Porter KR, Barua M, Barker F: Clinical Presentation, Histology and Treatment of Patients with Primary Intraspinal Tumors. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. Boston, Massachusetts, October 2005.
Engelhard HH III, Porter KR, Stewart AK, Olson JJ for the Commission on Cancer Brain Tumor PCE Subcommittee. Overview of the results of the Commission on Cancer’s Central Nervous System (CNS) Tumor Patient Care Evaluation Study. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Cancer Research. Orlando, Florida, March 2004.
Hahn YS, Herrera S, Engelhard H, Hamarti M: A New Insight on the Evolution of Growing Skull Fracture: Evidence Based on MRI, and CT Scan with 3D Reformation. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. San Francisco, California, October 2004.
Engelhard HH III, Porter KR, Barker FG II: Results from the Brain Tumor Patient Care Evaluation Study: Clinical Presentation and Patterns of Care. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Neuro-Oncology. Toronto, Canada, November 2004.
Engelhard HH, Alkan S, Duncan HA, Thomas C, Lee JM: NFkB, p65(RelA), is Commonly Expressed by Gliomas and Essential for Glioma Cell Survival. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. San Diego, California, April 2003.
Engelhard HH, Juarez A, Mix M, Duncan H, Vasoya H, Gemeinhart R: A New Human Glioblastoma Cell Line That Is Tumorigenic in Nonimmunosuppressed Rats. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. San Diego, California, April 2003.
Engelhard HH: Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors for Malignant Glioma: In Vivo Studies. Presented at the Second International Congress on Targeted Therapies in Cancer. Washington, D.C., August 2003.
Engelhard HH, Juarez A, Duncan H, Gemeinhart R: Characteristics of a Human Glioblastoma Cell Line Which Is Tumorigenic in Immunocompetent Rats. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Neuro-Oncology. Keystone, Colorado, November 2003.
Andreas A. Linninger, PhD
Department of Bioengineering
Meide Zhao, PhD
Department of Neurosurgery
Visiting Research Assistant Professor
Joe Zhou, PhD
Department of Neurosurgery and Radiology
Prashant Banerjee, PhD
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Keith Thulborn, MD, PhD
Director, Center for Magnetic Resonance Research
Acute Care Nurse Practitioners:
Katherine W. Walsh, RN, MSN, ACNP-CS
Clinical Program Director, Illinois Stroke Institute
Sybille Nelson, RN, MSN, ACNP-CS
Robert Gottschalk, NP
Grace Mazurek, NP
Rita Berendt, NP
Allison Blood, BSN, MSN, FNP-CS
Christy Gomez, BSN, MSN, AG-ACNP
Laurie Smith, RN
Leslie Stangel, RN
Jeffrey Jopes, MBA
Director of Administrative Operations
Program Coodinator for Educational Services
Linda Rose-Finnell, MPA, CCRA