Max Brito, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago
The DR project was initiated in 2004 as an exchange program between faculty and trainees from the Dominican Republic and UIC. Each year, faculty members, housestaff and medical students from UIC travel down to the DR for a two week long program of educational activities and hospital rounds at the largest teaching hospital in the country.
The objectives of this program are:
- to expose UIC trainees to the practice of medicine in a developing country and provide them with clinical experience in tropical medicine.
- to provide an opportunity for UIC students to learn more about Latin American culture and medical practices, which will enhance their understanding and sensitivity when caring for patients of Hispanic origin in the United States.
- to facilitate and promote collaborative research relationships and projects with Dominican physicians on a variety of topics, especially in the areas of tropical infectious diseases, tuberculosis and HIV disease.
- to promote the exchange of scientific ideas between medical professionals in two nations with vastly different health care systems.
- to contribute with the training of Dominican students and housestaff.
As a result of this program, cooperation agreements have been signed with the following institutions of higher education and teaching hospitals in the country:
Since its inception in 2004, more than 100 internal medicine residents, fellows, students and other housestaff members have benefited from our Tropical Medicine Elective course. As part of the international exchange, more than 30 Dominican internal medicine residents, fellows and general practitioners have taken part in a two-month long rotation at the University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago where they take part in hospital rounds and educational conferences offered in the Department of Medicine at UIC.
For faculty, residents and fellows from the DR interested in pursuing clinical rotations at UIC
Please submit the following documents:
- Complete CV
- USMLE scores ( if applicable)
- A one page letter stating :
- Your learning objectives during the rotation
- The time of the year you would like to come
- The Departments you would like to rotate through
Please send all documents to:
For UIC students interested in clinical rotations in the DR – Contact Alissa Eugeni at [email protected]
For Dominican students interested in clinical rotations at UIC – Please contact Ms. Monica Mason ( [email protected] ) at the office of student affairs for instructions and a link to application materials. Please copy Ms. Alissa Eugeni ([email protected]) on that initial email.