Training occurs at two sites, the University of Illinois Hospital and the Jesse Brown Veterans Administration Medical Center. Both provide primary and tertiary care to a large number of patients, many of whom look to the residents as their primary health care providers. Housestaff spend approximately 50% of their time at each site and maintain a continuity outpatient practice at each site. The faculty and all departmental conferences are fully integrated across both institutions. Recently renovated facilities and the University of Illinois Outpatient Care Center provide a state-of-the-art environment for patient care and learning.
Check out a resident-led video of the UIH and VA hospitals.
University of Illinois Hospital
The University of Illinois Medical Center was founded in 1882 to serve the healthcare needs of the people of Illinois. Over 600 primary care physicians and specialists provide high quality primary and referral care to patients from the city, state and around the world. The University Hospital is a modern 424-bed facility with seven specialized intensive care units. The University of Illinois at Chicago Health Sciences Center includes the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Associated Health Professions and the School of Public Health, all of which interact regularly with the medicine housestaff. The University of Illinois Medical Center is ranked one of the nation’s best teaching hospitals by U.S. News and World Report.
Jesse Brown VA Hospital
The Jesse Brown Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which recently celebrated its 50 years of academic partnership with the UIC College of Medicine, is a tertiary care facility with 175 beds and a modern ambulatory care center. Primary care services are divided into four practices and are based on the “continuity of care model”. The total number of visits in the Ambulatory Care Center is among the highest of all the VA facilities. Faculty hold academic appointments at the UIC, and many are involved in various research projects ranging from molecular biology to outcomes research.
UIC Outpatient Care Center
The UIC Outpatient Care Center, which opened in 1999, is a state-of-the-art facility with a fully computerized medical record system. Its 245,000 square feet house all subspecialty and general medicine outpatient services and our women’s health center.
INSTRUCTIONS: In order to add a sidebar anchor:
- Duplicate the existing item, listed as a 1/6 text field. (Or create a 1/6 column and add a text field, modify the class so it’s exactly “additionalAnchor”).
- Modify the text field inside the 1/6 column. Inside there, modify the HYPERLINK so that it would go to a corresponding section with a “#” in front of it. (Example, we have a “chief” section on the page, then it would make sense to have the hyperlink go to “#chief”)
- Then change the hyperlink TEXT to a appropriate label.
- IMPORTANT: If not done already, go into that CONTAINER that corresponds to your anchor (i.e. Meet The Chiefs), and add an ID matching the anchor’s HYPERLINK WITHOUT the “#”, i.e. “chief”.
- (If using side bar widget box, then there’s a saved copy of a widget box COLUMN, grab it in the column library, it should 1/6 of a length of a column.)
NOTE: Order added to the sidebar is from last to first.