MESSAGE FROM THE HEAD
I am the A. Tom Petropulos tenured professor and interim head of medicine.In my over 40 years with the University of Illinois Chicago, I have served in several administrative roles including interim division chief of cardiology, vice chair for clinical affairs, and senior associate head of medicine. I previously also served as interim head of medicine in 2011. I have cherished being a teacher, mentor and advisor to medical students, residents, cardiology fellows and faculty. One of my greatest joys was serving as the cardiology fellowship program director in the Division of Cardiology for fifteen years. At the college level, it has been an honor to serve as chair of the College Committee on Instruction and Appraisal (CCIA) for the past 18 years. CCIA determines and evaluates the curriculum for all four years of UIC medical student education. At the campus level, I serve as a member of the UIC Senate and the Senate Executive Committee. My research interests have focused on the early detection of coronary artery disease using coronary artery calcium imaging via CT technology. I have participated in numerous NIH trials including the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA), Longitudinal Studies of Coronary Heart Disease Risk Factors in Young Adults (CARDIA), Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS), and Premature Atherosclerosis in Youth (PAY). My proudest achievement has been teaching the art of the cardiovascular physical exam to medical students, residents, fellows and advanced practice providers. I feel very fortunate that I have been able to teach and inspire so many people. When I receive emails from past trainees on how they were able to detect critical heart diseases through physical exam alone, it is very rewarding, and I look forward to teaching many more future cardiologists!
George T. Kondos, MD
A. Tom Petropulos Professor and Interim Head
Department of Medicine
It is my great pleasure to welcome you to UIC and our internal medicine residency program. At UIC we value individual diversity and have a steadfast commitment to our core mission defined by the pursuit of excellence in patient care, education, and scholarly activities. But our success in these pursuits is only made possible thanks to the ceaseless efforts of our extraordinary and dedicated faculty, staff, and trainees.
We are fortunate to be able to care for a large and diverse patient population from our surrounding community and are committed to providing care for all, including the underserved. Our clinical programs serve to enrich and augment our year-round educational activities, intended for all of us as lifelong learners. Our faculty include scientists and investigators who are driven to innovate, explore new frontiers, and help train the next generation of physician-scientists. At UIC, we strive for excellence in all of these endeavors and we welcome those who share our passion for our mission.
INSTRUCTIONS: In order to add a sidebar anchor:
- Duplicate the existing item, listed as a 1/6 text field. (Or create a 1/6 column and add a text field, modify the class so it’s exactly “additionalAnchor”).
- Modify the text field inside the 1/6 column. Inside there, modify the HYPERLINK so that it would go to a corresponding section with a “#” in front of it. (Example, we have a “chief” section on the page, then it would make sense to have the hyperlink go to “#chief”)
- Then change the hyperlink TEXT to a appropriate label.
- IMPORTANT: If not done already, go into that CONTAINER that corresponds to your anchor (i.e. Meet The Chiefs), and add an ID matching the anchor’s HYPERLINK WITHOUT the “#”, i.e. “chief”.
- (If using side bar widget box, then there’s a saved copy of a widget box COLUMN, grab it in the column library, it should 1/6 of a length of a column.)
NOTE: Order added to the sidebar is from last to first.