Faculty & Staff
Yoon Soo Park PhDAssociate Professor and Associate Head Director of Research, Office of Educational AffairsMedical Education
Yoon Soo Park is Associate Professor and Associate Head of the Department of Medical Education. He is also Director of Research, Office of Educational Affairs at the University of Illinois – College of Medicine. He holds a Ph.D. in Measurement, Evaluation, and Statistics from Columbia University. Park’s experiences include both academic and industry settings, with research interests and experiences across multiple disciplines in psychometrics, biostatistics, educational psychology, and medicine.
Park’s research agendas have focused on psychometric methods, focusing on statistical modeling of educational and psychological processes using latent class models and item response theory models. He has also actively engaged in interdisciplinary research in the social sciences, collaborating with diverse researchers and practitioners across disciplines. His work in the health professions education has advanced the preparation of learners in clinical reasoning and measurement of competencies through validity studies. His psychometric research has contributed to methods that reduce statistical error for complex data structures.
Park is the recipient of the Alicia Cascallar Award from the National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME). Park’s paper also received the Research in Medical Education (RIME) Best Paper Award by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). He is also the recipient of the ETS Presidential Award. He serves on editorial boards of leading medical education, measurement, and statistics/applied mathematics journals.
Park serves and contributes to national and international professional organizations. He is active in international collaborations, in both research and teaching, by organizing and leading partnerships with researchers and institutions in North America, Europe, Middle East, and Asia. Park is a member of the elected AAMC RIME Program Committee. He is currently Vice President of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), serving Division I: Education in the Professions.
Assessment and Applied Measurement
– Park, Y. S., Hicks, P. J., Carraccio, C., Margolis, M., & Schwartz, A. (2018). Does incorporating a measure of clinical workload improve workplace-based assessment scores? Insights for measurement precision and longitudinal score growth from ten pediatrics residency programs. Academic Medicine, 93, S21-S29.
– Park, Y. S., Kamin, C., Son, D., Kim, G., & Yudkowsky, R. (2018). Differences in expectations of passing standards in communication skills for pre-clinical and clinical medical students. Patient Education and Counseling. Advance online publication (September 9, 2018). doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2018.09.009.
– Park, Y. S., Hyderi, A., Heine, N., May, W., Nevins, A., Lee, M., Bordage, G., & Yudkowsky, R. (2017). Validity evidence and scoring guidelines for standardized patient encounters and patient notes from a multisite study of clinical performance examinations in seven medical schools. Academic Medicine, 92, S12-S20.
– Park, Y. S., Lineberry, M., Hyderi, A., Bordage, G., Xing, K., & Yudkowsky, R. (2016). Differential weighting for subcomponent measures of Integrated Clinical Encounter scores based on the USMLE Step-2 CS examination: Effects on composite score reliability and pass-fail decisions. Academic Medicine, 91, S24-S30.
– Park, Y. S., Hyderi, A., Bordage, G., Xing, K., & Yudkowsky, Y. (2016). Inter-rater reliability and generalizability of patient note scores using a scoring rubric based on the USMLE Step-2 CS format. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 21, 761-773.
– Park, Y. S., Zar, F., Norcini, J., & Tekian, A. (2016). Competency evaluations in the next accreditation system: Contributing to guidelines and implications. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 28, 135-145.
– Park, Y. S., Riddle, J., & Tekian, A. (2014). Validity evidence of resident competency ratings and the identification of problem residents. Medical Education, 48, 614-622.
Psychometrics and Statistics
– Park, Y. S., & Xing, K. (2018). Rater model using signal detection theory for latent differential rater functioning. Multivariate Behavioral Research. Advance online publication (December 17, 2018). doi: 10.1080/00273171.2018.1522496.
– Park, Y. S., Xing, K., & Lee, Y.-S. (2018). Explanatory cognitive diagnostic models: Incorporating latent and observed predictors. Applied Psychological Measurement, 42(5), 376-392.
– Park, Y. S., Lee, Y.-S., Xing, K. (2016). Investigating the impact of item parameter drift for item response theory models with mixture distributions. Frontiers in Psychology. Advance online publication (February 24, 2016). doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00255.
– Park, Y. S., Behrouz-Ghayebi, L., & Sury, J. (2015). Do shared barriers when reporting to work during an influenza pandemic influence hospital workers’ willingness to work? A multilevel framework. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 9(2), 175-185.
– Park, Y. S., & Lee, Y.-S. (2014). An extension of the DINA model using covariates: Examining factors affecting response probability and latent classification. Applied Psychological Measurement, 38(5), 376-390.