The Department of Family Medicine recognizes the importance of its volunteer faculty members as not only the backbone of its clinical rotations, but also for the expertise they provide across the many aspects of Family Medicine. It is our departmental mission to provide quality educational experience for medical students, residents, and faculty, and the participation of all our volunteer faculty is vital in accomplishing this goal. The single most significant influence on a student’s career choice is generally the opportunity to watch and work in a clinical setting with a committed and caring physician. The impact preceptors have on future generations of family physicians is unrivaled.
DFM Volunteer Faculty are involved in a variety of activities including medical student teaching, resident teaching, continuing medical education, and departmental social events.
- Teach undergraduate UIC students in the M3 Family Medicine Clerkship and/or the Longitudinal Primary Care (LPC) Program, adhering to the goals, objectives, and curricular activities developed for students rotating in the Family Medicine Clerkship and LPC Programs. Complete all required paperwork in a timely fashion, including student and program evaluations. For additional information regarding predoctoral activities, please contact:
- Sagina Hanjrah, MD Program Director 312.413.3213
- Cheron Zei, MPH Coordinator 312.996.9116
- We invite all our non-salaried faculty interested in participating in our Residency Wednesday Education Program, which provides educational sessions every Wednesday afternoon for UIC DFM residents, to contact our Residency Program. For additional information regarding residency activities, please contact:
- Participate in Departmental activities, such as Grand Rounds. All non-salaried faculty are invited to attend our weekly Grand Rounds series held on Wednesday afternoons at 1:00pm. In addition, nonsalaried faculty are also invited and encouraged to present at a Grand Rounds, as they can provide valuable knowledge in a variety of areas. For additional information regarding Grand Rounds activities, please contact:
- John Hickner, MD, MSc Department Head 312.996.1103
- Rosalba Angulo Coordinator 312.996.1103
- Participate in various other Department sponsored activities, such as the Family Medicine Interest Group which sponsors various workshops, speakers, and social events throughout the year. For additional information regarding Department sponsored activities, please contact Cheron Zei at 312-996-9116.
To avail yourself of the services the University has to offer its volunteer faculty, you must obtain a faculty identification card (I-Card). To obtain an I-Card, please visit the UIC Photo ID Office. You will need a copy of your NOA or letter of officer, along with one piece of photo identification (e.g. drivers license). You must apply in person. The UIC Photo ID Office is located in room 242 of the Student Center West (formerly the Chicago Illini Union), 750 South Wolcott, and is open between the hours of 9:00a.m. to 5:00pm Monday through Friday. For more information call 312-413-5944.
Instructional Resources and Services
Academic Computing and Communications Center (ACCC)
ACCC offers computing support to faculty for instructional and research needs. Faculty can receive personal e-mail and computer network accounts for university-related work at no cost, although there are nominal charges for printing and the purchase of site-licensed microcomputer software.
The University Library provides collections and services to faculty through its Library of the Health Sciences (LHSC), located at 1750 West Polk, as well as the Richard J. Daley Library and the Science Library. The LHSC collection of over 500,000 volumes and 5,100 journals supports education, research, and clinical practice in the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Applied Health Sciences, Pharmacy, and the School of Public Health; the UIC Medical Center Hospital and Outpatient Care Center, and other affiliated health care institutions. LHSC also serves as the Regional Medical Library for ten Midwestern states under a contract awarded by the National Library of Medicine. Access to automated systems such as PubMed, CINAHL, EMBASE, MDConsult, and an extensive collection of electronic journals Medline is also available to faculty members. For further information call 312-996-8966 or visit www.uic.edu/depts/lib.com.
Social and Recreational Opportunitites
The Student Center West:
The Student Center West, located at 750 South Wolcott, houses a number of facilities and services for students and faculty, including the UIC Medical Bookstore, Art Lounge, Crafts Shop, Copy Stop, Game Room, and several restaurants and lounges. At the Campus Information Center, faculty can buy CTA passes, buy stamps and access ATM machines. The Student Center West also houses a barbershop and travel agency. For further information call 312-413-5200 or visit here.
CIU Sport and Fitness Center:
Faculty members can purchase a discounted membership in the CIU Sport and Fitness Center located in the Chicago Illini Union and gain access to a modern facility which includes a swimming pool, 3 racquetball courts, gymnasium for drop-in basketball and volleyball, weight room, Stairmasters, treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bicycles, running track, and locker rooms equipped with saunas. For further information call 312-413-5260.
The University of Illinois has established relationships with travel agencies, as well as various rental car agencies and hotels/motels to provide discounted rates to University employees. University ID is required by most hotels to receive the discount. For additional information please go to here.
Thank you for your interest in a Volunteer Faculty appointment with the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Please be aware that UIC College of Medicine guidelines state, in accordance with an agreement by Chicago area deans, that primary faculty appointments for individuals should be limited to one medical school. If you currently hold a faculty appointment at another medical school, please let us know as you may still be eligible for a Lecturer faculty appointment.
All Volunteer Faculty are required to login to NESSIE at least once a year to keep their appointments active. Within NESSIE, faculty can update their personal information, view benefit resources, and access their notification of appointment. To login, you will need to know your NetID and ACCC Common Password. The Department Administrative Office can confirm your NetID, but ACCC will need to be contacted directly if you forget your ACCC Common Password.
To prevent technical difficulties in accessing your UIC e-mail account or the UIC Library, please login to your UIC e-mail or the UIC Library at least once every year. By doing this, you are confirming your intentions to keep your accounts active. The University’s Academic Computing and Communication Center (ACCC) routinely de-activates accounts that remain inactive for greater than one year. If you receive an account inactive message, please contact ACCC’s Help Desk at 312.413.0003. You may be asked to schedule an inperson appointment with an ACCC Consultant to re-activate your account.
If you have recently moved or changed your preferred e-mail address, please notify the DFM Administrative Office at (312) 996-1103 or email@example.com , so that we may continue to provide you with vital information regarding your appointment and the DFM Quarterly Newsletter.