10 reasons why our Family Medicine Residency may be the right fit for you…
1. We are a cohesive and supportive group of Faculty and Residents, in an environment where resident well-being is prioritized. Examples of support activities are the Faculty-Resident Mentee program, department-sponsored social gatherings, two residency retreats a year, an intern support group, and bi-monthly meetings with the Program Director. The Faculty doors are always open for our Residents. Read more about our resident support and mentor program >>
2. Our experienced, diverse, and abundant Faculty represents the full diversity of American society, ethnically, culturally and by faith. Our faculty to resident ratio is greater than 1:1, which means that many opportunities for research and practice exist. We follow passions reflecting the full spectrum of Family Medicine, including Maternity Care, Sports Medicine, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, full spectrum gynecologic and reproductive care, hospital care, emergency care and procedural medicine. View our faculty profiles >>
3. Free grad school!!! An exceptional University of Illinois work benefit is free full-time tuition for graduate school – past Residents (and Faculty) have obtained additional degrees (e.g. MPH, MBA, Information Systems). Read more about benefits available to our residents >>
4. Outstanding Women’s Health training: Our residents perform more gynecology procedures (colposcopy, IUD, ultrasound) than other outpatient procedures and are recruited for post-residency positions utilizing these skills. Read more about our curricular highlights >>
5. Global Health track: Our residency places a big emphasis on community service, at the local level and beyond. Locally, residents see patients at a nearby Federally Qualified Health Center, Mile Square Clinic. In addition, up to six residents are selected annually for work abroad. A longitudinal Global Health curriculum is offered to all residents. We prepare our graduates to provide care to anyone, regardless of background or socioeconomic status. Read more about our Global Community Health Track >>
6. We are the only Family Medicine residency in the Chicago area that admits to the university hospital. And when we say “admit,” this means that our patients are admitted to the Family Medicine services – our Residents learn inpatient medicine from our very own Family Medicine faculty.
7. Our clinical sites are within 1.6 miles of the Medical Center. Our residents can reach their destinations by foot, bicycle, shuttle bus or car. Read more about our training sites >>.
8. Our orientation activities for interns include four weeks of educational and group activities without hospital duties – two weeks in July and two weeks in February. Read more about our PGY1 curriculum >>
9. UIC is wired. Our library is online and available from you home PC or hand-held device. For all clinical care, we utilize Electronic Medical Records. In addition, our talented IT support is available 24-hours a day.
10. At UIC Family Medicine, we value our patients, our residents, our faculty and staff as human beings first. We have developed our clinical work and our educational program to support our members in mind, body and spirit.