- Full eligibility for board certification in Emergency Medicine (through the American Board of Emergency Medicine) and Internal Medicine (through the American Board of Internal Medicine) as well as for fellowship training in subspecialties open to either field
- Full participation in ACGME duty hour guidelines for residents
- Vacation: four weeks paid per year.
- Sick leave: 24 calendar days paid per year
- Health and disability insurance: available to residents and their dependents for a nominal fee. Dependent coverage is reimbursed up to the amount set by the GME operating committee.
- Life insurance: benefit of one year’s stipend provided at no charge, with option for additional coverage
- Malpractice insurance: covered at 100%
- Conference attendance funding provided for one national-level and one regional conference during the residency period.
- Medical information resources: free at-home access to patient record systems at UIC and the VA medical center, all on-line library services, including UpToDate, MD Consult, Harrison’s On-Line, Medline, PubMed and Ovid Full-Text Journals.
- Paid moonlighting: for permanently licensed residents both in-house and outside moonlighting opportunities are available
- Participation in SURS (State University Retirement System) allowing savings towards retirement beginning in residency; easily portable to other 401K, 503B or IRA plans once leaving UIC. Savings become fully vested after five years of training.
- Additional benefits: parking at a discounted rate, free dry cleaning for lab coats, and monetary support for meals by means of an icard when on call during medicine months.
- Guaranteed chief resident responsibilities during the PGY 5 year
- ACLS, PALS, APLS, EMS Base Station, and ATLS training.
- Full access to University of Illinois at Chicago facilities
- Frequent program meetings with fellow residents and the program director to discuss residency issues and reconnect with other residents of the program.