- The student using card access or signing out the room key is ultimately responsible for room maintenance. COMRB rooms record each swipe entrance, so students sharing a room for study should each swipe their own access card upon entrance in order to share responsibility. CMW and CME rooms require a key sign-out from the UGME Office, 151CMW. See Room Reservations Procedures.
- Room use requires an understanding that users will return the room to an orderly condition. Tables should be wiped clean and all trash should be properly disposed of. Tables & chairs must be returned to their original location (conference style, lecture style, etc.)
- Food is allowed in the COM rooms on a limited basis. Food trash must be completely removed from rooms and placed near a public trash receptacle. When necessary, arrangements should be made in advance with facilities management for trash removal. (Student Organizations must contact the Office of Students Affairs for trash removal procedures and assistance in ordering additional tables.)
- No personal belongings should be left in the room during times when the student is not present. Room furniture is to remain in the room at all times.
- Rooms must be locked upon departure. Do not prop doors open, and pay proper attention that the door is securely closed behind you.
- Student use of vacant COM rooms via card swipe access is prohibited without prior reservation. If you find a student using the room during your reserved time, ask them to leave. There is a system in place for reserving rooms, and it is unfair to those who follow that system to allow others to circumvent it.
- Care must be taken to avoid damage or abuse to furniture and equipment. Any damage that occurs must be reported at the first opportunity to UGME, Room 151 CMW. Any damage done to the room beyond “damage of common use” at the time of occupation is the responsibility of the student. Do not disconnect plugs on AV equipment.
- Students with a reservation following a time when the room is in use by others must be respectful of time slots. Please do not interrupt activities in a room prior to your scheduled time period. Reservations begin at the scheduled time, and not before.
- Use of study room phones, nearby kitchen areas including microwaves, copiers, etc., is not allowed.
Be respectful of cleaning staff. Let them do their job when they arrive at the room you are using. They work on a schedule so please do not ask them to return at a time that is convenient for you.
- Do not remove or misuse any property in a COM building. Tampering with University property falls under "Misuse or Unauthorized Use of University Facilities, Property and Grounds" and is subject to disciplinary action as a violation of a UIC Standard of Conduct. If a medical student is found in violation of a standard of conduct, at minimum this must be reported as an adverse institutional action in the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) which is used for residency applications.
Additional CMSC Recommendations to avoid future conflicts:
- As a general rule, students should leave the room as clean, if not cleaner, than they found it. However, please document any rooms that are found in an incredibly disordered state by notifying UGME and the CMSC board at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If an emergent departmental need arises that requires the use of a student-occupied COMRB study room, students are expected to leave the room in a timely manner. It is strongly recommended that the departments respectfully and directly ask the student(s) to vacate the room in order to save time. All students are expected to oblige the request. CMSC board asks the faculty member inform the student of a time that they can return.
- If the faculty member feels uncomfortable requesting a student to leave, the faculty member should notify UGME, who will then notify the student on behalf of the department.
- If a student is asked to leave a room, the student should inform UGME and the CMSC board for general record keeping purposes.
- If faculty members know they are going to need a room, we ask them to make sure they have it annotated on the student room reservation system to ensure the room will not be reserved by a group of students.
- In order to optimize study space, especially in times of high demand, rooms 3075 and 4075COMRB will be designated for individual reservation. In addition, up to three students can reserve study space in 5075, 6075, 7075, and 8075 COMRB up to 24 hours a day. Rooms 2175, 3175, 4175, 5175, 6175, 7175 and 8175 COMRB are open to 6 students or study groups but only during regular business hours based on availability.
- Room 240CMW has been reserved by CMSC as a permanent study space, and remains open for student use 24/7. Reservations will not be accepted. This space will be deemed a quiet study space. If demands exceed the allocated space, arrangements for additional CMSC-reserved rooms will be made.
- Students reserving rooms for groups or multiple students need to inform UGME when making their reservation. Keep in mind that each student still needs to “swipe-in” in COMRB rooms order to keep accurate track of the students using the rooms.
- Students who reserve a room are expected to occupy the room during the allotted hours. If the student anticipates being late or not needing the room, please inform UGME immediately at 312-996-9030 during regular business hours or by e-mail anytime. If a student decides to vacate a reserved room earlier than his/her arranged end-time, please inform UGME so that another student may use the room.
- Should need for individual study rooms exceed COMRB capacity, rooms in CMW and CME can be used to satisfy the additional need.
- For building security and student safety, students are required to carry their I-card with them when on-campus. Campus security may ask students to show their i-card, especially after hours. Report any observed or suspicious misbehavior in COM by calling Campus Police (Emergency 312-355-5555, Non-Emergency 312-996-2830.
The access keys to rooms in CMW and CME can be obtained from the UGME Office, Room 151 CMW. Keys must be returned promptly after each use. (After regular office hours, keys can be returned by placing them underneath the UGME door.)
Access to rooms in COMRB is currently via card access.
Students will forfeit their right to use of these spaces for study or other learning purposes if this agreement is found in any violation. By making a room reservation you are agreeing to abide by the terms in this Student Study Room Agreement. UIC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs "Facility Use Policy" also applies.
Return to College of Medicine Conference & Study Rooms page.