Room Access & General Use
• Access to the Learning Center rooms is via swipe card. Every swipe entrance is recorded, so each student sharing a room for study should swipe their own access card upon entrance in order to share responsibility for room maintenance. Rooms must be reserved through the UGME Office, room 151CMW, following the Learning Center Room Reservations Procedures.
• Student use of vacant Learning Center rooms via card swipe access is prohibited without prior reservation. If another student has occupied a room that was previously reserved through the appropriate procedures, that student will be asked to leave. Contact the UGME office at (312) 996-9030 if further assistance is required.
• Students who reserve a room are expected to occupy the room during the allotted hours. If the student anticipates being late or not needing the room, please inform UGME immediately at 312-996-9030 during regular business hours or by e-mail anytime. If a student decides to vacate a reserved room earlier than his/her arranged end-time, please inform UGME so that another student may use the room.
• In order to optimize study space, especially in times of high demand, UGME reserves the right to add additional students to rooms where only one student is studying.
• Reservations begin at the scheduled time, and not before. Please do not interrupt activities in a room prior to your scheduled time period.
• If an emergent administrative need arises that requires the use of a student-occupied room, students should leave the room in a timely manner.
• Use of 429/527 CMWT for Cell & Tissue Biology teach-backs requires prior check-in with UGME in room 115CMWT. Check-ins may be done up to one week in advance to allow for advance planning for this curricular requirement.
• Use of the Learning Center rooms requires an understanding that users will return the room to an orderly condition. Tables should not be moved from their original position, and chairs should not leave the room. Tables should be wiped clean and all trash should be properly disposed of. Users should notify the UGME office about rooms that are found in a disorderly state. Note: Changing the configuration of a room requires prior approval from the UGME office, 151 CMW.
• Users should not store personal belongings in the classrooms. Items found in drawers will be disposed of on a regular basis.
• Users should shut down all equipment upon exit.
• Food is allowed in the Learning Center rooms on a case-by-case basis with prior approval from UGME. Food trash must be completely removed from rooms and placed in a public trash receptacle, and tables should be wiped cleaned. When necessary, arrangements should be made in advance with facilities management for trash removal. Student Organizations must contact the Office of Students Affairs for trash removal procedures and for assistance in ordering additional tables. Click here for the Learning Center Food & Drink Policy.
• Be respectful of cleaning staff. Let them do their job if they
arrive at the room you are using. They work on a schedule so please do
not ask them to return at a time that is convenient for you.
• Care must be taken to avoid damage or abuse to furniture and equipment. Any damage that occurs must be reported at the first opportunity to UGME, Room 151 CMW. Any damage done to the room beyond “damage of common use” at the time of occupation is the responsibility of the student.
• Users should not remove or misuse any property in a College of Medicine building.
Tampering with University property falls under "Misuse or Unauthorized
Use of University Facilities, Property and Grounds" and is subject to
disciplinary action as a violation of a UIC Standard of Conduct. If a
medical student is found in violation of a standard of conduct, at
minimum this must be reported as an adverse institutional action in the
Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) which is used for
Safety & Security
• Rooms will automatically lock upon departure. Do not prop doors open after 7:00pm. This will trigger a silent alarm indicating a security breach and campus police will respond with a patrol to the area. Pay proper attention that the door is securely closed behind you, and be extra vigilant after hours. No personal belongings should be left in the room during times when the student is not present. See Room Reservations Procedures for room availability.
Students will forfeit their right to use of these spaces for study or other learning purposes if this agreement is found in any violation. By making a room reservation you are agreeing to abide by the terms in this Student Study Room Agreement. UIC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs "Facility Use Policy" also applies.
• For building security and student safety, students are required to carry their I-card with them when on-campus. Campus security may ask students to show their i-card, especially after hours. Report any observed or suspicious misbehavior in the College of Medicine by calling Campus Police (Emergency 312-355-5555, Non-Emergency 312-996-2830.
Return to College of Medicine Conference & Study Rooms page.