PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed the M3 Core Clerkship in Pediatrics.
PURPOSE: The Pediatric Pulmonology/Allergy-Immunology elective will provide comprehensive clinical experience in consultative pediatric pulmonology and allergy-immunology.
COMPETENCIES: Upon completion of the elective the student will be able to:
• Perform thorough and accurate pulmonary assessments;
• Learn basics of pulmonary physiology and learn to read and interpret pulmonary function tests;
• Learn to assess and manage patients with: Asthma, Broncho-Pulmonary Dysplasia, Cystic Fibrosis, Recurrent Pneumonia, Chronic interstial lung problems like idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis, various congenital pulmonary anomalies like tracheal bronchus, Agenesis of the lung;
• Common allergic problems: Allergic Rhinitis, Atopic Dermatitis, Insect Stinging Allergy;
• TWorkup and management of immune deficiency syndrome like CVID, Hypogammaglobulinemias, and DiGeorge;
• Observe flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy and identify various airway lesions through a video monitor;
• Learn about ventilators with emphasis on "Home Ventilator" programs both intubated and non-intubated;
• Learn to read chest x-rays, CT s and other chest imaging procedures by reviewing a large collection of unusual x-rays.
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: : The student will receive ongoing bedside teaching as well as three didactic lectures/seminars per week. He /she will participate in "Journal Club."
Pediatrics E&M Conference (E&M = evaluation and management): This is a an educational enhancement specifically designed for the M4 student in Pediatrics - a case-based learning session designed to focus on issues that you likely will face as residents. All students on pediatrics electives will gather at 8am every Wednesday of the four week block, in the 5W Pediatrics conference room on the 5th floor of the hospital.
Program Number: ELEC 653
Program Director: J. Akhter, M.D., Ellen Metzger (Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: 4 Weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 4
Laboratory/Independent Study: 0
Total Hours /Week: 44
Immunization & Compliance forms can be found here.
Note: Clinical electives at Advocate hospitals (ACMC, AIMMC, ALGH) are only available to students from LCME and AOA accredited institutions.