PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed the M3 Core Clerkship in Pediatrics
PURPOSE: The Pediatric Gastroenterology elective will provide comprehensive clinical experience in primary and consultative pediatric gastroenterology.
COMPETENCIES: Upon completion of the elective, the student will be able to:
- Perform an accurate and complete hisotry and physical exam, with the primary focus being Pediatric Gastroenterology (abdominal exam, rectal examination)
- Learn to develop and execute a management plan for patients, including diagnostic workup and specific treatment options in the field of Pediatric Gastroenterology for both acute and chroinic disorders
- Observation of procedures including EGD, colonoscopy, rectal biopsy, G-tube insertion, Foreign body removal
- Understand basic principles of Pediatric Nutrition
- Learn to assess and manage patients with: Constipation, Diarrhea, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Failure to Thrive, Functional Abdominal Pain, Anal Fissures, Upper and Lower GI Bleed, Peptic Ulcer Disease, Milk-Protein Allergy, and Liver Disease
- Understand usage of common diagnostic laboratory and radiologic tests
- Be able to retrieve and assimilate specific evidence and knowledge into their patient care activities
- Be able to effectively interact in a consistently professional and empathetic manner with patients' familes and medical personal
- Understand how to partner with health care managers, social workers, and other providers to assess, coordinate, and improve overall quality of health care.
INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: The student will receive ongoing daily bedside teaching with daily inpatient rounds and outpatient clinic. There are two didactic lectures/week, one conference/week, daily case reviews, and weekly literature reviews.
Pediatrics E&M Conference (E&M = evaluation and management): This is a an educational enhancement specifically designed for the M4 student in Pediatrics - a case-based learning session designed to focus on issues that you likely will face as residents. All students on pediatrics electives will gather at 8am every Wednesday of the four week block, in the 5W Pediatrics conference room on the 5th floor of the hospital.
ASSESSMENT: Performance is reviewed by the attending physicians on the Gastroenterology service.
Program Number: ELEC 732
Coordinator: Ellen Metzger email@example.com
Duration of Elective: 4 weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1, Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 10
Independent Study: 3
Total Hours/Week: 40-45
Immunization & Compliance forms can be found here.