sitemap

Patient Safety, Quality Outcomes - UICMC

PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed Second Year.

*WILL NOT BE OFFERED FEBRUARY 2010*

PURPOSE: This course will focus on the growing public, regulatory, and third-party payer concerns associated with patient safety and quality care outcomes in medicine and the newer knowledge, behaviors, and skills necessary to be successful in this new health care environment.

COMPETENCIES: By the end of the two-week rotation:
•  Students will be able to identify and describe at least ten national patient safety initiatives and quality outcomes programs currently being implemented in all hospitals and health care facilities;
• Students will be able to design a quality care improvement initiative for a defined health care problem that incorporates all four key process improvement components;
•  Greater than 80% of participating students will have demonstrated positive/favorable shifts in attitudes regarding the importance of patient safety and quality care outcomes in medial practices as compared to their pre-course attitudes.

INSTRUCTIONAL FEATURES: : Required Reading: Wall of Silence by Rosemary Gibson. A collection of published articles and books will be used to supplement the book readings and small group discussions. Small group sessions: Experts in the fields of law, malpractice, error science, regulatory and accreditation, informatics, simulator training, continuous quality improvement and outcomes measures, microsystems, leadership and interdisciplinary teamwork will lead discussions. All sessions will be interactive and require student participation. Case based learning: True-life medical error cases will be presented and discussed with students. Students will be able to collectively interview patients about their own medial error experiences and how the experiences impacted their lives. Standardized patient: Students will practice admitting they made a mistake or error to a standardized patient and learning newer techniques on apology and compensation. Simulator experiential learning: Student will spend time in different simulator labs including newer virtual simulation applications. This session allow students to see and participate in simulator-based cases so they gain an appreciation on how work with simulators can improve teamwork skills, improve decision making and reduce errors. Independent leaning project: Students will design a continuous quality improvement initiative for an identified problem-situation. The short, 5-page paper on the design will be due within four weeks of course completion.
   
ASSESSMENT: The continuous quality improvement paper will comprise 30% of the student’s evaluation. The remaining 70% of the student’s evaluation will be based on active participation and contribution in small group sessions and activities. The program director will conduct exit interviews with all students.

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION:

Program Number: ELEC 998
Location: UICMC
Contact: D. Mayer, M.D., T. McDonald, MD, JD, dmayer1@uic.edu
Telephone: 312-413-3739

Duration: 2Weeks
Night Call: No
Weekends: No

Students Accepted: Min. 10 Max. 24
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 15-20
Laboratory/Independent Study: 10
Outpatient: 0
Inpatient: 0
Total Hours /Week: 20-25

KEY WORDS: Literature, ethics, humanities, professionalization, values.