PREREQUISITES AND PLACEMENT IN THE CURRICULUM: Students must have completed all M3 Core Clerkships.
PURPOSE: The goal of the elective is for the students to be able to diagnose and treat benign and malignant breast disease.
COMPETENCIES: The objectives of this rotation are for the student to be able to:
• Perform an accurate, focused breast history and examination;
• Diagnose and treat benign and malignant diseases of the breast;
• Stage breast cancer, interpret pathologic reports and recommend surgical/adjuvant treatments for breast cancer;
• Perform an office ultrasound, perform office based biopsies, interpret mammograms and recommend diagnosticm odalities;
• Discuss the evolving new technologies and trends in breast cancer care.
• This clinical program consists of office-based outpatient clinic experience three times a week where a student will be actively involved in evaluating and treating breast cancer patients while being supervised by the breast surgeons.
• Instruction regarding office-based ultrasound/biopsies will be provided, and students will have a hands-on opportunity to practice use of ultrasound.
• Faculty lectures covering breast surgery topics will be given three times a week.
• Student will be expected to attend the stereotactic breast conference every week where pathologist/radiologist and surgeons meet to discuss the pathology and management of image guided biopsies.
• Student will work with a dedicated mammographer in interpreting mammograms and ultrasounds and will learn the techniques of image guided biopsies.
• Twice a week the student will follow patients seen in the office to the operating room. They will also participate in the postoperative care of these patients.
• Overall, a multidisciplinary breast surgery elective will be offered to enhance a student’s ability to diagnose and treat breast diseases. .
ASSESSMENT: Performance will be evaluated based on subjective assessment, and a formal presentation by the student will be part of the evaluation.
Program Number: ELEC 807
Program Director: A.Perez Tamayo, M.D. , Saundrya Lomax (Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: 2 Weeks
Night Call: No
Students Accepted: Min. 1 Max. 1
Housestaff Used as Faculty: No
Lectures/Conferences/Faculty Contact: 27
Laboratory/Independent Study: 12
Total Hours /Week: 52
Please contact Saundrya Lomax for reporting instructions.