The Division of Academic Internal Medicine and Geriatrics (AIM) unites the clinical and scholarship strengths in general internal medicine and geriatrics. We provide a comprehensive approach to patient care across the continuum of age and health status.
AIM is committed to our Department's mission: high quality clinical care, scholarly activity, and education. We provide state-of-the-art medical care to patients in the ambulatory and inpatient setting, consultative pre-operative evaluations, teaching and quality improvement.
AIM faculty lead scholarly efforts in health services research, quality improvement, health innovations, medical informatics, healthcare access, disease prevention with the goal of reducing health disparities. AIM partners with the Institute for Health Research and Policy (IHRP) at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the Center of Innovation for Complex Chronic Healthcare at the Jesse Brown Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Researchers in this program engage community organizations, health care providers, and patients living or working in or near the UIC neighborhood.
Rachel Caskey, MD.
Chief, Division of Academic Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
|Our internists and researchers are dedicated to promoting access to patient-centered care, increasing patient safety and engagement, and pursuing community-based outreach. We provide an outstanding training experiences for undergraduate, graduate, and medical students, as well as post-graduate residents and fellows.
Primary care has long been recognized as the leader of medical home teams and care-coordination efforts. AIM will lead efforts to enhance collaboration within and across departments in the Health Science Colleges, improve transitions of care and improve longitudinal care across the continuum of age.
Our vision is to:
1. Achieve national reputation for clinical, investigative, and educational excellence
2. Maximize state-of-the-art biological and communication technology
3. Identify best practices in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, and Hospitalist Medicine
4. Provide the best possible care of patients with a focus on training the next generation of physician-scientists
5. Promote service to our institution and community
6. Pursue health equality and the reduction of health disparities