UIC Urology is committed to innovation and advancement in not only the field of urology but medicine as a whole. Our faculty, fellows, residents and students are encouraged to participate in research in diverse disciplines.
The UIC innovation center is a multidisciplinary hub of education and development that bridges academic research and real-world instruction with forward-thinking corporations. Activities at the Innovation Center, a cross-campus initiative supported by the Office of the Provost and led by executive director Peter Pfanner, integrate the full range of disciplinary expertise offered by the colleges of Architecture, Design and the Arts; Engineering; Business Administration and Medicine.
Housed in a 10,000-square-foot collaboration space and research laboratory, the Innovation Center is located near the Student Services Building. The space serves as an incubator to develop and deliver ideas, products and intellectual property on behalf of the university and industry sponsors.
- Prostate stem cell biology
- Prostate cancer detection using novel imaging in collaboration with the UIC Center for 3T MRI Research
- Medical device design and process development in collaboration with the UIC Innovation Center
- Bioengineering and computer hardware development
- Non-invasive ophthalmologic diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
- Clinical trials for urologic malignancies in collaboration with the UIC Cancer Center