Topics and Schedule
CURRICULUM TOPICS AND EXAMPLE SCHEDULE
✎ What is Quality and Patient Safety? ✎
- Care must be safe
- Care must be effective and reliable
- Care must be patient centered
- Care must be timely
- Care must be efficient
- Care must be equitable
- Quality improvement and pay-for-performance
✎ Introduction to Quality Improvement (Dr. Richard Banchs) ✎
- What are the basics?
- How to choose a QI project?
- What is the framework of a QI project?
- Why is this important at the resident physician level?
- What is the role of a sponsor?
✎ How to design and implement a QI project: the nuts and bolts ✎
(Dr. Ari Rubenfeld)
- PDSA cycle
- Fishbone diagrams
- Pareto charts
✎ NSQIP (Dr. Ari Rubenfeld) ✎
- How a big database works
- How to use the data
✎ Medical Legal aspects related to providing surgical care ✎
(Hospital Department Attorney)
✎ Risk Management (Rhonda Perna, Chief of Risk Management) ✎
- Presentation from this department on who they are and the role they serve at UI Health
- Remove the stigma
- Review patient safety event reporting here and what the follow-up steps entail
✎ UI Health Culture of Safety & Current Initiatives✎
(Jodie Joyce, Chief Quality Officer)
- UI Health culture of safety
- Current QI initiatives within our system
✎ Teamwork in the hospital setting (Shelly Major, CNO) ✎
- Identify necessary elements to achieve teamwork
- Identify effective team leadership qualities