Welcome to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
At the University of Illinois at Chicago!
Fall is a busy and exciting time for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
We are receiving applications for our OB/GYN Residency Program and arranging interviews, and preparing for our Annual Conference, “Challenges in OB/GYN: Pearls for Practice”, in October 2017.
Our new Interns arrived this summer and started with a Boot Camp in our newly renovated OB/GYN Simulation Center. Please welcome:
- Rebecca Commito, MD,from Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, New Jersey
- Carly Kruse, MD, MSc, from University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
- Nicole Lugo Santiago, MD, from University of Michigan Medical School
- Jessican Morgan, MD, from New York University School of Medicine
- James J. Morong, MBBS, MPhil, from University of Queensland School of Medicine, Brisbane, Australia
- Joanna M. Ryan, MD, from University of Illinois College of Medicine
- Arielle Grand, MD, from Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University
We also welcome our new second year Resident:
- Katherine Contangco, DO, who transferred from Wright State University
Our Department has two new Subspecialty Fellows for the 2017-2018 academic year. Please welcome:
Tia Jackson-Bey, MD, MPH, Fellow in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, completed OB/GYN Residency at Duke University
Erin Cavanaugh, MD, Fellow in Global Women’s Health, completed OB/GYN Residency at Temple University
During the past academic year, the Department has built upon our existing educational programs and expanded into Global Women’s Health. I would like to acknowledge our educational leader including:
- Dr. Abigail Litwiller, Associated Department Head of Education and Faculty Development, and Director of the OB/GYN Residency Program
- Dr. Tamika Alexander, Associate Director of the OB/GYN Residency Program
- Dr. Switzer, Director of Clerkship (3rd Year medical students)
- Dr. Hussain, Director of Electives/Selectives (4th Year medical students)
- Dr. Micaela Della Torre, Director of the Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship
- Dr. Musa Zamah, Director of the Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Fellowship
- Dr. Gelila Goba, Director of the Global Women’s Health Fellowship
- Dr. Mary Stephenson, Director of the Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Fellowship
But it “takes a community” to make our educational programs great and at University of Illinois at Chicago, the Department of OB/GYN has outstanding faculty, residents, and staff, all contributing to our educational mission.
This year, the Department was approved for ACGME-accredited subspecialty training in Maternal Fetal Medicine and Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility. Congratulations to the faculty and staff who made this possible, and especially to fellowship directors Dr. Della Torre and Dr. Musa Zamah.
We look forward to welcoming Ayman Al-Hendy, MD, PhD as Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology who will be joining the Department this fall. Dr. Al-Hendy is well funded by the National Institutes of Health to study genetic and environmental factors leading to uterine fibroids. At UIC, he will have a research laboratory in the College of Medicine Research Building. Clinically, Dr. Al-Hendy will be leading clinical trials for treatment of uterine fibroids and stem cell therapy in OB/GYN.
Last year’s Annual Conference was a great success, thanks to the outstanding contributions from our distinguished external and internal faculty, along with our dedicated conference organizers and staff. This year, our “Challenges in OB/GYN: Pearls for Practice” Conference will be held on October 26-27, 2017; mark your calendar! This year’s Distinguished Faculty include:
- Dr. Michael Bebbington, Maternal Fetal Medicine at Washington University, who will give us an update on fetal surgery.
- Dr. Julia Johnson, Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility at University of Massachusetts, who will discuss challenges
in managing post menopause, and optimizing bone health.
- Dr. James Shwayder, JD, at University of Mississippi, who will discuss how to avoid medico-legal issues with
online communications, and challenging surgeries and deliveries.
- Dr. Jamie Bakkum-Gamez, Gynecologic Oncologist at May Clinic, who will discuss “enhanced recovery” after surgery.
In addition, we will have several outstanding UIC faculty presenting! Please visit the conference webpage to learn more.
The Department was recently notified of our 2016-201 Castle Connolly Top OB/GYNs. Please join me in congratulating the following clinicians for being peer-recognized regionally and nationally for their excellence in patient care!
- Gloria L. Elam, MD, MPH, Top Doctors
- William Kobak, MD, Top Doctors
- Sondra Summers, MD, Top Doctors
- Mark Vajaranant, MD, Top Doctors
- Rajul Kothari, MD, Top Doctors, Gynecologic Oncology
- Humberto Scoccia, MD, America’s Top Doctors
- Mary D. Stephenson, MD, MSc, America’s Top Doctors
We continue to expand our Department and we are actively recruiting faculty. Please check out the links below:
Our diverse faculty and staff are committed to moving the Department forward through their hard work and passion for excellence in patient care, education and research. Feel free to stop by my office to discuss the exciting changes taking place in our thriving Department.
Mary Stephenson, MD MSc
Theresa S. Falcon-Cullinan Professor & Department Head
University of Illinois at Chicago
Phone: (312) 996-7006