- To provide comprehensive, high quality care for patients with sleep and ventilator disorders utilizing an innovative, multidisciplinary and patient-centered approach.
- To provide the highest quality sleep education and training for our medical staff and service the sleep medicine needs of the physician and patient community.
- To conduct state-of-the-art research in basic and clinical sleep medicine for the advancement of patient care and the discipline.
Outpatient Sleep Disorders Clinics:
Sleep fellows will have six ½ day clinic sessions per week throughout the year. This is consultative and continuity clinic, where the fellows work with faculty to evaluate, diagnose, and provide long-term management for sleep disorders.
Sleep fellows will gain expertise in interpretation of polysomnographies, Multiple Sleep Latency Tests, Maintenance of Wakefulness Tests performed at University of Illinois Hospital and Jesse Brown VA Medical Center. Sleep fellows will have two ½ days per week to read and review tests with faculty. Fellows will gain proficiency and ability to complete these interpretations independently by the end of the year.
Sleep fellows will become familiar with interpretation of home sleep testing and use of autoadjusting positive airway pressure therapy. They will gain understanding of appropriate integration of ambulatory management of sleep disordered breathing into clinical practice.
Sleep fellow and faculty will support pulmonary consult service at University of Illinois Hospital and Jesse Brown VA Medical Center in providing recommendations, scheduling diagnostic testing and outpatient follow up for hospitalized patients with sleep disorders.
Pediatric Sleep Medicine:
Sleep fellows attend ½ day clinic sessions per week over a total of 8 weeks with pediatric sleep medicine faculty. The pediatric patient evaluations include common pediatric sleep disorders sleep apnea, hypersomnia, RLS, and parasomnia.
Multidisciplinary Sleep Medicine:
- Dental Sleep Medicine: Fellows willobserve and gain understanding of treatment of sleep apnea with mandibular advancement devices at the Department of Orthodontics, UIC College of Dentistry.Fellows will observe two to five unique cases during the year.
- Behavioral Sleep Medicine: Fellows will have the opportunity to observe and learn cognitive behavioral treatment for Insomnia with faculty from Health Psychology. Fellows will observe two to five unique cases during the year.
- Surgical Treatment (ENT and Bariatric): Fellows will learn pre-operative evaluation and post-operative care and follow up of patients undergoing surgical treatment for sleep apnea. Fellows will observe two to five unique cases during the year (at least one ENT and one Bariatric case).
The UIC Health Sleep Science Center is located at 2242 W Harrison, Suite 104. We are committed to providing comprehensive, quality care for patients with sleep-related disorders. Utilizing an innovative, multi-disciplinary team approach, our team of dedicated sleep professionals can evaluate and treat all potential sleep problems. We provide continuum of care from beginning diagnosis to individual treatment plans and education for patients.
Our state of the art sleep center is unique in offering physician consultation and evaluation, sleep study testing, and respiratory equipment fitting all at one convenient location.
Bharati Prasad, MD, MS
Sleep Fellowship Program Director
Coordinator, Fellowship Program