The Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, at UIC offers 1-3 fellowship positions each year for highly qualified physicians dedicated to obtaining the highest quality training in all aspects of gastroenterology and hepatology. The training occurs in the shadow of one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, providing the trainee and their family with amazing opportunities.
The UIC program is distinctive because of its commitment to provide the fellows with:
- The opportunity to learn all diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- An intensive exposure to all aspects of clinical hepatology, including transplantation.
- The ability to obtain additional formal education, including a Masters of Public Health (MPH) degree.
- Exposure to clinical, bench and translational research opportunities.
- We provide trainees with full exposure to all aspects of gastroenterology. This training is provided by full-time faculty who are clinical, translational and basic science investigators with interests and expertise including, but not limited to, digestive disorders, pancreatic diseases, biliary diseases, nutrition, inflammatory bowel disease, gastrointestinal motility, colon cancer, viral hepatitis, liver cancer, liver transplantation, small bowel transplantation, esophageal diseases, acute and chronic liver disease, ERCP, and endoscopic ultrasound.
- We maintain an active clinical and basic science research environment. Upon completion of our training program, fellows will have the clinical and teaching skills necessary to take a leading role in academic or clinical gastroenterology.
- Approximately ¾ of our program trainees are in private practice throughout the United States; the remainder occupies positions in academia around the world.
- Our program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- We also offer advanced fellowship training in areas including transplant hepatology, ERCP, Nutrition and endoscopic ultrasound.
Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program
- Our Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program provides fellows with full exposure to all aspects of clinical hepatology and transplantation.
- UIC offers one (1) fellowship position each year for highly qualified physicians dedicated to obtaining high quality training in Transplant Hepatology.
- Fellows are exposed to ambulatory pre and post-transplant clinics, inpatient transplant hepatology, inpatient transplant hepatology surgery, interventional radiology, and clinical hepatology.
- Admission to our program is open to all physicians who are board-certified in Internal Medicine, licensed, or eligible to be licensed, as physicians by the State of Illinois, and have completed gastroenterology fellowship.
- Our program does not sponsor visas of any kind; all applicants must be able to provide proof of U.S. permanent residency or citizenship.
Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Program
- The Advanced Endoscopy Training Program at UIC is a one-year program designed to provide trainee with the skills required to excel in his career as a therapeutic endoscopist in an academic setting.
- While gaining exposure to advanced endoscopic procedures, fellows also participate in various clinical activities (i.e. inpatient consult service, endoscopy sessions, outpatient clinics, evening and weekend call) relating to the biliary service as well as general gastroenterology as directed by the division chief.
- Admission to our program is open to all physicians who are board-certified in Internal Medicine, licensed, or eligible to be licensed, as physicians by the State of Illinois, and have completed gastroenterology fellowship and are board-eligible.
- Successful applicants receive a faculty appointment as a clinical instructor in Medicine.
For additional information about our fellowship programs, please write us via email at GiHepEd@uic.edu or by mail at the address below:
Attention: Fellowship Program Coordinator
University of Illinois at Chicago
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (MC716)
840 South Wood Street, Suite 718E
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7323