What are the PhD degree requirements?
Students must complete a minimum of 96 semester hours of graduate work beyond the baccalaureate or 64 semester hours beyond the master’s degree.
The degree requirements consist of coursework, a research project, two preliminary exams, and a doctoral dissertation.
This is an on-campus program. The course requirements are a combination of College of Education courses and Department of Medical Education courses. The College of Education courses, which are weekly 3-hour courses, must be taken on-campus, in-person in Chicago. The Department of Medical Education courses can be completed either in an intensive format (1-2 weeks) on-campus, in-person in Chicago or online* (full semester).
College of Education Core and Methodology Course Requirements: 24 credit hours
• ED 502: Essentials of Qualitative Inquiry in Educational Research, 4 hrs
• ED 503: Essentials of Quantitative Inquiry in Education, 4 hrs
• ED 504: Urban Contexts and Educational Research, 4 hrs
• ED 505: Introduction to Educational Research: Paradigms and Processes, 4 hrs
• ED 506: Introduction to Educational Research: Designs and Analysis, 4 hrs
• Additional Methodology Elective, 4 hrs
College of Education Curriculum Studies Concentration: 5 credit hours
• CI 574: Foundations of Curriculum Studies, 4 hrs
• CI 500: Curriculum Studies Pro-seminar, 1 hr
Health Professions Education Strand: 16 credit hours
For students who do not already hold a Master’s degree in health professions education –
Department of Medical Education Core Course Requirements:
• MHPE 501: Scholarship in Health Professions Education (HPE), 4 hrs
• MHPE 502: Instruction and Assessment in HPE, 4 hrs
• MHPE 503: Curriculum and Evaluation in HPE, 4 hrs
• MHPE 504: Leadership in HPE, 4 hrs
For students who already hold a Master’s degree in health professions education, 16 credit hours of courses in the College of Education, Department of Medical Education or other UIC units are selected with the advisor.
For students holding a Master’s degree: 3 credit hours
Other courses, selected with advisor, in the College of Education, Department of Medical Education or other UIC units, 3 hrs
For students holding a Bachelor’s degree: 35 credit hours
Other courses, selected with advisor, in the College of Education, Department of Medical Education or other UIC units, 35 hrs
Research Project: 4 credit hours
CI 593: Participation in a DME faculty research project, 4 hrs (spread over 1 or 2 semesters)
Written and Oral Preliminary Exams, 0 hrs
Dissertation: 12 credit hours
CI 599: Dissertation research, jointly supervised by DME and COE faculty, 12 hrs
*some online course registration restrictions may apply and some online courses do require students to participate in a one-week intensive on-campus, in-person session in Chicago during the last week of July each year.