Doctoral (PhD) Program in Education – Curriculum Studies
with a Focus in Health Professions Education
Two pre-eminent programs, the Curriculum Studies Program in the College of Education (COE) and the Masters of Health Professions Education (MHPE) leadership program in the Department of Medical Education (DME), are collaborating to offer a focus in Health Professions Education in the Doctoral (PhD) Program in Education-Curriculum Studies. The Curriculum Studies Doctoral Program has been rated first in the nation in faculty productivity by Academic Analytics. DME’s MHPE program was cited by external reviewers as the “gold standard” of programs that prepare individuals for leadership and scholarship in health professions education.
Who is it for?
- Health professionals with a master’s degree in medical or health professions education or a related field who wish to obtain doctoral level preparation for leadership and scholarship in health professions education institutions and settings
- Non health professionals with a master’s degree in education or a related field who wish to practice or do scholarship in health professions institutions and settings
What are the Program Requirements?
- 64 credit hours beyond the master’s degree or 96 beyond the bachelor’s or professional degree
- COE Research Foundation Courses: Urban Contexts and Educational Research; Introduction to Educational Research: Paradigms and Processes; Introduction to Educational Research: Designs and Analysis; Essentials of Qualitative Inquiry in Education; Essentials of Quantitative Inquiry in Education; Methodology Elective (24 hrs)
- Research Project: Supervised by DME faculty (4 hrs)
- Dissertation Research: Jointly supervised by DME and COE faculty (12 hrs)
- Curriculum Studies Concentration: (24 hrs)
- Curriculum Studies: Foundations of Curriculum Studies (4 hrs); Proseminar (1 hr)
- For candidates without masters degree in medical or HPE, DME courses: Scholarship in HPE, Instruction and Assessment in HPE, Curriculum and Evaluation in HPE, Leadership in HPE; other courses, selected with advisor, in COE, DME, other UIC units (19 hrs)
- For candidates with masters degree in medical education or HPE – other courses, selected with advisor, in COE, DME or other UIC units (19 hours)