Office of Research and Professional Development
Welcome to the Department of Family Medicine’s Research and Scholarship site. The Research Division provides guidance to faculty and residents in all aspects, including design, methods, and ethical conduct of clinical, public health, and medical education research.
We make every effort needed to encourage and facilitate faculty and residents’ pursuit and attainment of excellence in all spheres of scholarship. We train our residents to develop a research attitude, with an evidence-based form of inquiry, in order to become informed practitioners and life long learners. Faculty members model the requisite attitudes and behaviors to guide and inspire our trainees. In addition to research and scholarly work within the Department, we are involved with collaborative work, in both teaching and research, with other UIC departments, as well as with other institutions.
Our long-term vision is directed towards:
- Utilizing national and international research to identify gaps in the determinants of risk for preventable diseases particularly in vulnerable populations.
- Evaluating existing interventions or developing and subsequently evaluating new interventions to enhance effectiveness in health promotion, disease prevention and promoting health literacy.
- Examining the cost-effectiveness of interventions and their impact on health promotion and disease prevention, as well as the public health decision-making process.
- Guiding our trainees to make more informed (evidence-based) decisions about appropriate forms of care, with an emphasis on patient-centered, culturally appropriate care for diverse populations.
- Integrating health professions education with health care delivery with the goal to ultimately improve patient outcomes.
Please take a moment to navigate through our site. If you have any comments or suggestions, we would be happy to hear from you.