The College of Medicine Learning Center project continues to make progress in the demolition and construction of the new educational space in the CMW. Once again we would like to provide specific updates about the movement of the project.
- Demolition continues on every floor.
- The walls on the 3rd and 4th floors are being framed out for the updated small classrooms and lounge spaces
- The new HVAC ductwork is also being installed on the 4th floor.
- The pipefitters have begun to install the new chilled water lines. There will be a significant amount of welding that has to occur in the CMWT 2nd floor public corridor leading to the Medical Sciences Building. Due to safety issues, the corridor will be shut down every day at 4pm beginning late next week so the contractors can stage their rigs and hang fireproof drapes.
- Competitive bids on the building envelope repairs (masonry and roof) were submitted and the exterior work will begin this spring.
- Starting next week, the Faculty Alumni Lounge will be outfitted with extra tables and chairs to provide additional study space options for students. The lounge will then be available on weekdays after hours and weekends except when formal functions are scheduled. Students can use their UIC I-Cards to enter the lounge through the adjacent conference room corridor across from the Dean’s Office.